Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure a host outside of the firewall

wbrowne
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a new appliance that requires one interface in the INSIDE and another interface outside of the network.  It is a security appliance and is designed to operate as such.  At one location this is easily done.  We have a ASA5555x with a switch in between the OUTSIDE interface and our internet router.  When we need a server or host in this posture, we plug it into the "outside" switch and give that host a static routable address.

At my second location there is a 5585x that I was hoping to create a second port configuration to save from adding an "outside" switch scenario.  This is prefered being that the second site will only have one host that will require direct internet access, while my first site has multiple hosts that require being deployed as such.

Is there a way to do this?  Or will I require to add a switch in between the internet router and OUTSIDE interface of my ASA?

Thanks in advance for any and all consideration.

William 

3 Replies 3

Hello William,

I believe this is possible. You will need to create separate interface (for example outside2) with public ip address (for example /30) and connect your host to that interface. That range will have to be separate from current outside range.

Does your host require public ip address or just need to be reached from internet via public ip? If you just need inbound access there are couple way that I can think of as well.

Nenad

Thank you for your response Nenad

The host will require it's own routable IP address.

Regards

Ok then try creating separate interface on the firewall. Let me know if you need anything. 

Thanks,

Nenad

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card