Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting cisco ASA 5505

syedaltaf.shah
Level 1
Level 1

Dear..

I have been working with ASA 5510,20,40,80 but not with 5505...

this vlan and its interfaces are quite confusing.

Just want to know how it works and its connectivity to Cisco Switch.

1) Do i have to put the interface of the switch in the same vlan as i am creating the interface vlan in firewall ???

for example.

firewall has this configuration

interface  Vlan 3

ip address x.x.x.x

interface eth1

switchport access vlan3

Now the switch port connecting to this Eth1 interface should also be in the same vlan ? i.e vlan3 ?? or it will be in trunk ?

2)  The default configuration shows the eth0 with no access vlan

and interface eth1 with access vlan 2... does it mean the eth0 is in vlan1 ? (Nativ Vlan ) ???

4 Replies 4

N W
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Think of the 5505 ethernet ports as switch ports, as that is what they are.same as a router 877/878. I usually use it as an access port.

by default all ports will have vlan 1 unless specified

chelsea4ever
Level 1
Level 1

In 5505 port e0/0 belongs to outside interface vlan 2

All the remaining ports e1 to e7 belong to inside interface vlan 1. This is the default factory settings with a base licence.

If you have a security licence then you can add the dmz and place it in a different vlan. All ports on the asa act as switchports as in like a switch by default

syedaltaf.shah
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys.....

Ok tht one is clear..

Now .. What if i want to connect 5505 to Cisco Switch 3750.

should the switch port be Access-Port or Trunk ?

That will depend on what is connected to the switch. If all the devices connected on the switch belong to the same vlan means you can leave the port on the asa as an access port itself(default) If not you would have to configure it as trunk port to allow different vlans

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card