cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA - Best practice for software downloads

KENNETH WYGAND
Level 4
Level 4

Suppose I want to configure a policy that will allow a user to download and execute .exe and .msi files. Of course, I cannot list all of the files that should be allowed to execute since installer executables can have a variety of filenames.

The only way I can see this being done is by allowing *all* .exe and .msi files to be downloaded and allowed to execute.

If I do implement such a policy, and a user accidentally downloads a virus, will my policy significantly cripple the protection offered by CSA?

Of course, if the virus is a known signature to CSA, it will be stopped. And I'm sure there are other virus-like behavior that CSA will protect against.

So, in summary, if I configure the above policy, am I opening the door too much and significantly decreasing the effectiveness of CSA?

If this is the case, does anyone have any suggested alternatives to the above policy that will accomplish my objectives? One final note - prompting the user as to whether or not this should be allowed (default policy) is not an acceptable option for me, as CSA must be completely transparent to the end-user.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

joseph.hamilton
Level 1
Level 1

The problem with what you suggest is you lose "Day zero protection"...that is, if you have a list of known virus .exe files, and a new one comes out, your list will not have it and a user could potentially download it before you find out about the threat. However, it is the best thing I can think of...you would just have a policy that would allow all applications but except all suspected virus applications or whatever.

I also agree about the query idea...the end user will say yes because they do not realize they are downloading and running a virus app until after the fact.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card