Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM 4.5 database service crashing

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello All

We use CSM 4.5 to manage our firewalls. We also used many older versions, but I've recently upgraded to 4.5. In this version is the database crashing from time to time. It only happens when I approve an activity.

On the Windows Server I have the following logs:

The Cisco Security Manager database engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).

I have to manually start the service "CiscoWorks vms sybase database engine service." again and then CSM works again as it should.

Do you also have had this issue?

Thanks

Patrick

14 Replies 14

Andrej Sumak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick

I´m having the exact same issue and an TAC Case opened, that was escalated to the Cisco CSM developers dept. and Sybase. I will update you asap when I become any information regarding the root cause.

Please be aware, that your DB can become corrupted if you face this issue for a longer period (few weeks). That´s the current situation on my case unfortunately.

Thanks,

Andrej

Hi, thanks for your update. I have it happen around every 10. - 15. approve activity. So I guess once a week at least. Doesn't sound nice with database corruption :(

That´s how it started on my CSM. Every now and then. And now the CSM is unusable…. L

I´m on a webex right now with the developers and tac…

Will update you soon.

any news about this issue ?

I have the same problem

For now I only got an unofficial answer from Cisco TAC. The problem lies probably in the Sybase DB engine and not in the code of the CSM. Unfortunately I´m still waiting for an official BUG ID. I will share it as soon as I get it. 

But we had to do a repair of the DB and lost one day of data. So I suggest you to open a TAC Case ASAP and don´t wait until the DB gets completely corrupted.

Regards, 

Andrej

Hi Andrej

Can you sent me your TAC number for faster Cisco response ?

Can you also tell me how did it take to repair the DB ?

regards,  Alfred

Sorry I cannot share the TAC Case number. But I will share the Bug ID as soon as I get it...

It took about 1 week after they discovered that the DB is corrupt...

Regards, 

Andrej

BUGID CSCuo66187

Hi, 

Thanks. I´m already double checking it wit my TAC Engineer. Will update tomorrow.

Hi

I understood - the first crash/problem  was fixed directly via a workaround , means sysbase db was "repaired", so you could work further with csm 4.5 until now  . right ?

TAC engineer tomorrow tries what ?

Hi, no the last info I got from TAC was, that they currently don't know what is causing this behavior. They just fixed the DB so we were able to use the CSM again, yes. But it still stays open why it initially happened and caused the DB corruption... They suspect Sybase DB Engine currently.

I ment, that I will get the confirmation tomorrow if I am facing the same Bug or filed my TAC Engineer another Bug.

I will update you tomorrow. 

I got an update earlier. Yes it is the Bug ID from my TAC Engineer, so I can confirm it as the reason for my problem. I also asked the TAC Engineer to update the Bug description to contain also the windows log messages, because these windows log messages indicate this issue. 

Regards, 

Andrej

Hi Andrej

any news from your site ?

today I have a webex with the cisco devolpers .

More information later

Hi, 

No, no news. The case is closed. The fix for the bug will be available in CSM 4.6 SP1 and 4.7. CSM 4.6 SP1 is going public by the end of June. 

DB was recovered and for now everything seems to work.

Regards, 

Andrej

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: