Helpful
Replies

DC & Perimeter Firewall

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears

i have a small setup and i have a below question related to design

i have a simple question related to the design we usually keep switches in cross connection between the internal firewall and perimeter firewall if incase of failover between the firewall the traffic should flow for this purpose, instead of buying those middle layer switches if i connect the perimeter firewall to the core switch, does it will easy for attacker to screw the core switch if incase my perimeter firewall is compromise , 

Please advise. 

3 Replies 3

meaning using specific VLAN for router and FW?

NOTE:-this SW called outside SW 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this design  Hosted Service model or Enterprise LAN and DC mode?  ( any topology diagram will help to understand better)

In General, if the enterprise DC you need to connect to Core switch for Routing in either case. ( that is the reason you have DMZ between the Internal network and the Internet.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as you don't expose any control plane or layer 3 services on the interfaces and VLANs on the switch that your perimeter firewall connects to, the exposure to external attacks is extremely small.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card