cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Decommision and repurpose ASA 5505

nschutte
Level 1
Level 1

We have reconfigured our network and have decommissioned a few ASA 5505s.  I would like to allow these devices to be repurposed but do not want to allow any other business units to be able to recover and access our configuration information.  I have already done a write erase and have removed log directories.  What other steps do I need to take to clean them up while still allowing them to be fully functional?  The units do not have additional licensing (no extra users, no sec plus) but I am seeing conflicting information about what would need to be done to them if I formatted flash. 

Thank you

3 Replies 3

You don't need to do anything else.  Another way of doing something similar is to use the config factory-default command.  This will set it back to the factory default settings and set the dhcp config so a user can connect and get an IP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/start.html#wp1053752

please rate any helpful posts.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Is it possible to recover any information from the device after a write erase?  The way I look at it, it is flash memory.  If I can recover photos deleted from a flash card I would think it would be simple enough to recover files deleted from flash with a simple write erase.  Is this not correct?

No once you delete the configuration it is gone.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card