Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct SSH to FTD inside of Firepower 9300 Appliance

Ji-Won Park
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am testing some features using Firepower 9300 appliance. Is there a way to bypass FCM management and connect FTD directly through SSH? I can reach the FTD interface IP address, but cannot pass the authentication page. 

Please help!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have you assigned the FTD logical device a separate physical interface designated as management type (vs. the default data type)? If you do that you can most definitely log into the FTD logical device directly as that is the whole purpose of such an interface.

The primary purpose of the chassis management interface is to access and manage the hardware chassis (FX-OS). You can indeed navigate to a Security Module and the logical device on it once you log into the chassis but that will always be a layer or two of abstraction removed from the physical interface.

If you have Safari books, there is an excellent explanation of this in the new (rough cuts only so far) book "Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD): Configuration and Troubleshooting Best Practices for the Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW), Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS), and Advanced Malware Protection (AMP)" by Nazmul Rajib. It is due to be published next month (November 2017).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,

This might work for you, configuration under "Restricting access".
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-ngfw/200868-Configuring-Firepower-Threat-Defense-FT.html

It will give you ssh access to specified interface from defined network.

br, Micke

As mentioned, I could always reach FTD's data interfaces; I just don't know and how I can pass the authentication. I tried admin/Sourcefire, admin/Admin123 but none of them work. It makes me think that I can only get to FTD CLI through FCM management and execute 'connect ftd'.

The reason I need to land on FTD CLI directly is that I have a software that needs to land on FTD CLI to get some data. 

Let me know if there's anyone went through the similar setup.

Thanks

Tested this again on a 4100 and you might be right.
The only options for med was to login in fxos or "Firepower module>" but still needed to use connect ftd to access clish.

br, Micke

The recommended method is to assign a physical interface from the chassis to the FTD logical device for management. 

Hi Marvin,

Physical interfaces have been already assigned to Firepower. However, Firepower has its own management IP addresses and FTD also has its own. When connecting to FTD, I have to go to the Firepower management CLI and connect to FTD, my question is is there a way to connect to FTD directly; Not is there a way to connect to management of Firepower. 

Have you assigned the FTD logical device a separate physical interface designated as management type (vs. the default data type)? If you do that you can most definitely log into the FTD logical device directly as that is the whole purpose of such an interface.

The primary purpose of the chassis management interface is to access and manage the hardware chassis (FX-OS). You can indeed navigate to a Security Module and the logical device on it once you log into the chassis but that will always be a layer or two of abstraction removed from the physical interface.

If you have Safari books, there is an excellent explanation of this in the new (rough cuts only so far) book "Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD): Configuration and Troubleshooting Best Practices for the Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW), Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS), and Advanced Malware Protection (AMP)" by Nazmul Rajib. It is due to be published next month (November 2017).

I don't think there is a way to bypass Firepower management cli when connecting FTD. I haven't been able to find a way... 

Hi, I know this is an old thread, i hit the same issue and found information bellow.

You need to configure LDAP for access, local users are not allowed by default.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-ngfw/200701-Configuration-of-Management-access-to-FT.html#anc9

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card