cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error: Interface 'DataPlaneInterface0' is not receiving any packets

keyser.soze1
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ASA5525-X in cluster and software module of SourceFire on each of them.

All day long, I have this error: **Interface 'DataPlaneInterface0' is not receiving any packets** and always after 5 minutes **All interfaces are working correctly**! And only on one ASA.

What could be the problem?

8 Replies 8

Aastha Bhardwaj
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Generally this error message comes : "Interface DataPlaneInterface0" is expected on standby device because the interface does not receive any traffic. But if you are getting that after 5 mins and it clears up then the Data Plane on ASA is going down . What is the version on ASA and SFR ?

Regards,

Aastha Bhardwaj

Rate if that helps!!!

Version of ASA IOS: Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.2(2)4 (same on both devices)

Versions of SourceFire software module: v5.3.1.6-16 (same on both software modules)

Version of Defense Center: v5.4.1.5-33

I redirected all traffic (#access-list sfr permit any any). 

Can you help me with some advice?

Hi ,

It is happing with me too, in my case i have two asa5516 in failover, andon FMC both modules are alerting the message :

"interface 'data plane interface 0' is not receiving any packets "

FMC and modules are running version : 6.1.0

Do you have any suggestion to help me?

tks

Hi,

me too. I´ve got a 5525x Cluster. I get the messages on both firewalls.

BR

I solved the problem... I should say, there was not really a problem. There was simply no traffic traversing the firewall. Its not enough, that the firewall has an interface in a lan segment. The ASA must be the routing device in L3 mode or in transparent mode, a "bump in the wire". You must at least send a copy of a packet to the sfr module.

BR

Running 6.1 on 2 ASA 5515-X's and just started seeing this behavior. If I failover to the standby unit the alert goes away, but shouldn't the original primary throw the same alert if it's not the active device? Something seems wonky.

Does it suddenly happen or did you change anything? Do you have your health policy only active for one device? Or do you have different health policies active for the sfr modules?

For my Standby ASA SFR Module I configured a separate Policy where I disabled Interface Status monitoring. If now my primary firewall fails and the secondary takes over I would not see Messages about the Dataplane Interface, even it is inactive. If my primary firewall then would be back online again, I should get the same messages again, as no Data is passing that Interface.

kwongwingsum
Level 1
Level 1

See 'Redirect Traffic to the SFR Module' of this link
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-firepower-services/118644-configure-firepower-00.html

forward the ASA traffic to firepower module, the error can be fixed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card