cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ERROR: % Invalid Hostname with dynamically assigned DNS on the ASA outside interface

darin.marais
Level 4
Level 4

I have connected an ASA 5505 to an ADSL router that is able to assign the IP address and the also the DNS servers for the ISP for the outside interface.

The ASA is loaded up with IOS "asa842-k8.bin"

I am using vpnclient with a hostname as oppose to an IP address to connect to a headend remote server. If I hardcode the DNS servers IPs in the "dns server-group DefaultDNS" I am able to resolve the hostname. If I then remove the IPs from the group and rely on the dhcp to assign them, when I try to resolve the name I have an error at the console "ERROR: % Invalid Hostname"

Has anyone in this group come across this problem? And if so, how can we resolve it?

Many thanks in advance :/

2 Replies 2

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Darin,

My understanding is u are trying to configure your ASA 5505 as an easy vpn client and trying to specify the headend server using hostname instead of IP address. Are you getting your outside IP addresses using DHCP or PPPoE?

Regards,

Prapanch

hello Prapanch

Thank you for your reply

I am getting the outside IP addresses using DHCP. the IPs of the DNS primary and secondary are in the DHCP reply but the cisco ASA device does not use them.  

I have opened a TAC case for this and cisco are currently investigating it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card