Views
Helpful
Replies

FDM vs FMC

Marcello75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

i' m configuring FPR 2210 whit FDM (version 6.7) and it seems that web interface refresh slowly (i.e. i need to wait near to 15 sec to see the operational state of the interfaces on the Device page, etc.). Is this a specific behavior of the FDM or it's the same using the FMC? I have couriosity about the fact that FMC can be more responsive than the FDM ...  Apart from this,I see that on every relase there are more new functions on the FDM that are already on FMC and i' m asking me if there is a sense to buy FMC or use FDM due the fact that i have only 2  FPR that are configured whit H.A. (i hope that the qos functions will be in the roadmap of the FDM releases).

Regards

Mar

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your web interface to FDM should be much more responsive. I just checked a Firepower 2140 HA pair running FTD 6.7 and the response is nearly instant for me.

They are even CDO-managed in addition to FDM. I have been recommending CDO as an option to more and more customers since I believe it adds value even in small deployments of just a few devices.

I don't know about QoS as a potential upcoming feature for FDM. The basic requirements is that Cisco has to enhance the APIs to expose the feature to API configuration since that is what FDM and CDO use. I see very very few customers (almost none) using QoS on their firewalls and I have seen hundreds of them.

Hi Marvin, when i connect to the web interface everything almost is quite fast but there are things that i need to wait for seeing (it takes near to 15 sec to see the operational state of the port). For the Qos i was looking for something that can limit the bandwidth, for example, for some tipe of app like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. Have you any suggest for me?

Other question for you: is the FMC more responsive than FDM or is it the same?

Really thanks

Marcello

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't see many customers trying to limit bandwidth of file sharing sites like the ones you mentioned. They may prohibit access but that's more due to corporate policy around data protection vs bandwidth usage. They might prohibit non-business streaming services (Netflix, Hulu etc.) altogether to conserve bandwidth.

FMC would generally be slower if anything since if is storing events etc. in a potentially quite large database that needs to be queried to render the web pages. It has improved especially in 6.6+ but will not be as fast as FDM.

Hi Marvin,

really thanks for your anwers.

Can you suggest me any good doc about good practices for application and url filtering?

Thank you

Marcello

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card