cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 4100 FXOS and firmware upgrade

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone know if it's a pre-requisite to upgrade the firmware on the Firepower 4100 series before upgrading the FXOS to the latest version? On the FXOS combability page Cisco Firepower 4100/9300 FXOS Compatibility  they only mention that there is a firmware upgrade requirement for specific network modules, but no mention on the FXOS.

Cheers 

/Chess

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As of yet, I have not had to upgrade the firmware when upgrading FTD.  I have gone from 6.2.3 to 6.6 so far without having to upgrade firmware.  Only FMC, FXOS and then FTD.  But I would suggest always carefully read the release nots of the version you are going up to (keep an eye on the upgrade path portion) as there might be a time in the future where this will be a requirement.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Depending on which version of FTD you are running now, and which you are going to, you might need to upgrade the FXOS.  The FXOS MUST be upgraded first before upgrading FTD.

--

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

@Marius Gunnerud Yes, the FXOS will be upgraded to the latest version (2.8). My question was about the firmware. The latest firmware version is 1.0.18 (see link) fxos-firmware-upgrade.html  but I cannot find any information if this is needed for the FXOS upgrade.

It might be the case that the firmware will be automatically upgraded when installing FXOS, but then it's a bit strange that you also  can download the firmware file separately from Cisco.

As of yet, I have not had to upgrade the firmware when upgrading FTD.  I have gone from 6.2.3 to 6.6 so far without having to upgrade firmware.  Only FMC, FXOS and then FTD.  But I would suggest always carefully read the release nots of the version you are going up to (keep an eye on the upgrade path portion) as there might be a time in the future where this will be a requirement.

--

Thank you @Marius Gunnerud  This was very helpful information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card