Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 6.7.0 and Snort 3.0

Hi All,

I am facing some issue after an upgrade from 6.6.0 to 6.7.0 for both my FMCv and FTDv. As per the release notes I should be able to switch to using Snort 3.0 after the update from the "Device > Updates page, in the Intrusion Rules group", but am unable to find said menu.

The above is taken from the release notes of 6.7:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/670/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-670/m_features_functionality.html 

Anyone able to advise on how to switch from Snort 2 to Snort 3 and vice-versa or if there are any limitations?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

umapatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think they haven't actually put that in the menus, contrary to the release notes.

I checked my lab FMC 6.7 and don't see it. I also downloaded and searched the entire 3067 page FMC Configuration Guide and that menu choice doesn't appear there either.

It looks like it is available as one of the rare cli configuration commands:

> configure snort3 
  disable  Disable Snort3 on the next deploy.
  enable   Enable Snort3 on the next deploy.

Hi Marvin,

Thank you for the information. Could you please share what FTD you are using as that option is not available on any of the FTDv devices I have in our lab environment:

> configure snort3

> configure snort
snort Configure Snort options

> configure snort
preserve-connection preserve connection

I even deployed an FTDv for ESXi directly on 6.7 and upgraded another FTDv from 6.6 to 6.7 on the other and the option is not available on either.

I have a similar issue where we need to run on snort3 and make sure the version is higher than 2.9.18 due to IAVA release. Will running this command cause the FTD's to reboot or just at the next deployment restart the snort engine as V3?

I've been trying to confirm through CLI which one were using but could only find a section in Advanced Troubleshooting section showing the version. 

ej

Anyone found a solution?

umapatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks Uma, indeed I can see the option on the newly deployed FTD managed locally ... I missed the line where it says the features are only for FDM  

Do you have an ETA when this will be added to FMC/FTD combo?

Regards,

Zhulien

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Correct - the device I checked was an FTDv 6.7 that's locally-managed (FDM).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card