cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower licenses status: Failed

db1
Level 1
Level 1

A couple weeks ago I added new licenses to my FMC and everything seemed fine, today I logged in and I find this, any idea what is happening?

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 09.22.01.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

db1
Level 1
Level 1

I managed to fix this. Turns out we had a storage failure and some VMs were lost. Firepower Management Center was restored from a backup, but VMWare gave it a new MAC address. 

As explained here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/60/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v60/Licensing_the_Firepower_System.html#id_14367

The license key uniquely identifies the Firepower Management Center in the Cisco License Registration Portal. It is composed of a product code (for example, 66) and the MAC address of the management port (eth0) of the Firepower Management Center; for example, 66:00:00:77:FF:CC:88.

So when the VM was restored, the MAC address changed, which changed the License Key and broke all the licenses. 

I powered down the VM, manually changed the MAC to what it was before, started the VM, and licenses are back to normal. 

Maybe it helps someone in future. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure that behaviour, worth opening a TAC case to support you.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

db1
Level 1
Level 1

I managed to fix this. Turns out we had a storage failure and some VMs were lost. Firepower Management Center was restored from a backup, but VMWare gave it a new MAC address. 

As explained here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/60/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v60/Licensing_the_Firepower_System.html#id_14367

The license key uniquely identifies the Firepower Management Center in the Cisco License Registration Portal. It is composed of a product code (for example, 66) and the MAC address of the management port (eth0) of the Firepower Management Center; for example, 66:00:00:77:FF:CC:88.

So when the VM was restored, the MAC address changed, which changed the License Key and broke all the licenses. 

I powered down the VM, manually changed the MAC to what it was before, started the VM, and licenses are back to normal. 

Maybe it helps someone in future. 

Thanks for sharing the resolution. That's a helpful one to know.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card