Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower Management Center

admins0011111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can i safely shut down the FMC server? I have two Firepower devices connected to this server. Is there a description of what data they exchange other than policies upon request?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It depends on what features you are using.

The managed devices will continue to pass traffic but some things (like URL lookups for non-cached URLs and sending files to the AMP cloud for dynamic analysis) happen via FMC. Also, the periodic (every hour or so) Security Intelligence updates are being pushed from FMC to the managed devices.

Of course the FMC is also the most common destination for any logged connection and intrusion events so it being offline will mean they cannot be synced from the managed devices. Some will be queued on the managed devices pending synchronization but that's limited.

I would not normally recommend shutting down the FMC in a production environment without an approved maintenance window. I would certainly never take it offline and leave it that way.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

harmesh88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can simply login in fmc and go to  system configuration and click on process  you will get option to shutdown FMC 

I know how do this. I need to know how safe it is to do on prod.

You need to elaborate, what do you mean by 'is it safe'?

It depends on what features you are using.

The managed devices will continue to pass traffic but some things (like URL lookups for non-cached URLs and sending files to the AMP cloud for dynamic analysis) happen via FMC. Also, the periodic (every hour or so) Security Intelligence updates are being pushed from FMC to the managed devices.

Of course the FMC is also the most common destination for any logged connection and intrusion events so it being offline will mean they cannot be synced from the managed devices. Some will be queued on the managed devices pending synchronization but that's limited.

I would not normally recommend shutting down the FMC in a production environment without an approved maintenance window. I would certainly never take it offline and leave it that way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: