cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firesite, Firepower Device Manager, Firepower Device Manager, ASDM help

Wan_Whisperer
Level 1
Level 1

I plan to buy a 5515 with FP  and a 1 year TAMC licenses.  This will replace my 5510.

I do not understand how to manage the device because of all the Cisco changes with the FP product.

Do I use Firepower device manager as a replacement for ASDM? 

please help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

yes, FDM repalced ASDM. as marvin has mentioned, it's web based (HTTPS) and doesn't require java installed (yey!)

you can also enabled the 90-day eval smart license to play around the next-gen FW features: URL filtering, malware.

make sure you installed an SSD installed.

you can either manage via FDM (for standalone deployment) or FMC (for multiple FTDs).see helpful link:

http://ccnpsecuritywannabe.blogspot.com/2019/07/reimaging-cisco-asa-5500-x-to-firepower.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you use an ASA with Firepower service module then you can continue to use ASDM for all configuration tasks.

If you run the new Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) software then there is a new user interface known at Firepower Device Manager that you use. It is an HTML 5 web UI (no Java).

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

yes, FDM repalced ASDM. as marvin has mentioned, it's web based (HTTPS) and doesn't require java installed (yey!)

you can also enabled the 90-day eval smart license to play around the next-gen FW features: URL filtering, malware.

make sure you installed an SSD installed.

you can either manage via FDM (for standalone deployment) or FMC (for multiple FTDs).see helpful link:

http://ccnpsecuritywannabe.blogspot.com/2019/07/reimaging-cisco-asa-5500-x-to-firepower.html

Thanks for the reply

I was told not to use FDM because it is not fully functional.  I was told to configure the ASA using ASDM and use FMC to control the firepower module.

What are your thoughts? 

If you are running ASA with Firepower services, you manage the base ASA as you always have.

The Firepower services modules can either be managed via ASDM or FMC. One or the other but not both. Some advanced features and historical reporting are only available when using FMC.

Which one is right for you depends on your requirements.

FDM vs FMC is only a consideration when you are looking at management of Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) devices.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card