Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC & ASA Firewall Licensing

Maxwell Delaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I  have 8 x Cisco 5516-X Firewalls running ASA with the Firepower Service Module added and 1 x FMCv.

Software versions:

ASA v9.13(1)

ASDM v7.13(1)

FirePower Service Module v6.3.0.4

FMC v6.3.0.4

I have the following licences registered to my Cisco account under 1 virtual account.

ASA5516 Threat Defense Malware Protection Prepaid 8
ASA5516 Threat Defense Threat Protection Prepaid 8
ASA5516 Threat Defense URL Filtering Prepaid 8
Cisco AnyConnect Apex License Prepaid 50
Cisco AnyConnect Plus License Prepaid 50
Firepower MCv Device License Prepaid 500000

I have created a token on that account and added it to my FMC but this licensing doesn't appear under the smart licensing. The FMC has an connection to the internet.

I would just like to established how I should be licensing my Firepower services and also AnyConnect.

I contacted licensing@cisco.com almost a week ago but have had minimal clarification. 

Do I need to convert this smart licensing to traditional?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not see a smart license activated, in this case, you need a manual intervention here to mitigate the issue.

If i were you, i will call TAC License team they are very quick to get you the required codes.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not see a smart license activated, in this case, you need a manual intervention here to mitigate the issue.

If i were you, i will call TAC License team they are very quick to get you the required codes.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Been speaking to TAC for over a week, they have been really unhelpful.

The ASA-module uses the classic licenses and you bought licenses for Firepower Thread Defense. I'm not even sure if these can be migrated back to Firepower Module licenses as that are different part-numbers.

Do you need features that are available in ASA but not yet in FTD? If not, then I would migrate the ASAs to run the FTD-image and then you can use the licenses that you bought.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like @Karsten Iwen said, these are all Smart licenses for use with ASA running the unified FTD image:

ASA5516 Threat Defense Malware Protection Prepaid 8
ASA5516 Threat Defense Threat Protection Prepaid 8
ASA5516 Threat Defense URL Filtering Prepaid 8

They cannot be used with ASA Firepower service modules and cannot be converted - they are different part number and are priced and fulfilled differently (PAK vs. Smart License).

Maxwell Delaney
Level 1
Level 1

Took 2 weeks but the licensing team converted the licenses for me. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: