Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC/FTD Site to Site VPN

benolyndav
Level 4
Level 4

HI

We have a Site to Site VPN configured between our FTD and a 3rd Party.

1. I have a rule allowing inbound from Outside from 3rd party peer to internal servers whcih should bring up the VPN between the peer addresses,

2. Do I need a rule from inside to outside also,  We never did have on ASA because its the 3rd party that initiates and we respond.

3. Also the sysopt option is checked so do i even need and ACP rule.

4. Do I need a NAT Exemption rule,  I cant see that I would because this traffic dosent match an existing NAT rule.?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok so I assume this VPN has never worked then? I assumed by the initial post you just wanted confirmation on the ACP and NAT configuration.

You've probably got a VPN configuration issue between yourself and the 3rd party, you both need to double check your IKE and IPSec settings and the PSK.

Pinging the peer from the FTD itself won't bring up the tunnel,  only interesting traffic (as defined in the VPN topology) can establish a tunnel. As you are only permitting traffic from outside to inside, the peer will need to generate the traffic.

Turn on ikev1 or ikev2 debugs (wheatever you are using), generate some traffic (as per the networks defined in the VPN topology) and provide the output for review.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi @benolyndav 

If the remote peer is initating the traffic then you don't explicitly need to permit the return traffic (inside to outside).

As default, yes you would need an ACP rule.

Normally you would need a NAT exemption rule for Site-to-Site VPN traffic, you would usually a Dynamic PAT rule for internet access from inside to outside which the return traffic could match and be unintentially translated.

Run packet-tracer to simulate and confirm.

Hi Rob

I run a packet-tracer 

selecting outside interface and selecting one of 3rd party servers as source and our server as destination tese two are part of the protected networks 

it gets dropped reason (tunnel pending)/snp_sp_action_cb:1748

the acl in the trace says allow

@benolyndav 

Seems like the tunnel is pending. With a VPN and packet-tracer you need to run the same command twice, once to establish the tunnel and the  second to determine whether it is working as expected.

Provide the full output of packet-tracer if possible

Check "show crypto ipsec sa" to determine whether a tunnel is established and if the encaps|decaps counters are increasing.

Hi

I ran it again and still same result

Phase: 1

Type: ACCESS-LIST

Subtype:

Result: ALLOW

Config:

Implicit Rule

Additional Information:

MAC Access list

Phase: 2

Type: ROUTE-LOOKUP

Subtype: Resolve Egress Interface

Config:

Additional Information:

found next-hop x.x.x.x using egress ifc  _INSIDE

Phase: 3

Type: ACCESS-LIST

Subtype: log

Config:

access-group CSM_FW_ACL_ global

access-list CSM_FW_ACL_ advanced permit ip ifc _OUTSIDE object-group BABOK-VPN-REMOTE-HOSTS ifc _INSIDE object-group BABOK-VPN-LOCAL-HOSTS rule-id 268438961

access-list CSM_FW_ACL_ remark rule-id 268438961: ACCESS POLICY: -NCHS-POLICY - Mandatory

access-list CSM_FW_ACL_ remark rule-id 268438961: L7 RULE: BABOK_VPN_Rule

object-group network BABOK-VPN-REMOTE-HOSTS

network-object object BABOK-Terminal-Server

network-object object BABOK-Solarwinds-Server

object-group network BABOK-VPN-LOCAL-HOSTS

network-object object FDH-STG

network-object object FDH-MON1

Additional Information:

This packet will be sent to snort for additional processing where a verdict will be reached

Phase: 4

Type: CONN-SETTINGS

Subtype:

Config:

class-map class-default

match any

policy-map global_policy

class class-default

set connection advanced-options UM_STATIC_TCP_MAP

service-policy global_policy global

Additional Information:

Phase: 5

Type: NAT

Subtype: per-session

Config:

Additional Information:

Phase: 6

Type: IP-OPTIONS

Subtype:

Config:

Additional Information:

Phase: 7

Type: VPN

Subtype: ipsec-tunnel-flow

Result: DROP

Config:

Additional Information:

Result:

input-interface: _OUTSIDE

input-status: up

input-line-status: up

output-interface: _INSIDE

output-status: up

output-line-status: up

Action: drop

Drop-reason: (acl-drop) Flow is denied by configured rule, Drop-location: frame 0x000000aab0bc20ec flow (tunnel-pending)/snp_sp_action_cb:1748

@benolyndav 

It's dropped in Phase 7 VPN, so possibly isn't an ACP issue.

Has the tunnel even been established? Provide the output of "show crypto ipsec sa"

There are no ipsec sas for peer x.x.x.x

never is

I can ping the peer but the tunnel never comes up.?

Ok so I assume this VPN has never worked then? I assumed by the initial post you just wanted confirmation on the ACP and NAT configuration.

You've probably got a VPN configuration issue between yourself and the 3rd party, you both need to double check your IKE and IPSec settings and the PSK.

Pinging the peer from the FTD itself won't bring up the tunnel,  only interesting traffic (as defined in the VPN topology) can establish a tunnel. As you are only permitting traffic from outside to inside, the peer will need to generate the traffic.

Turn on ikev1 or ikev2 debugs (wheatever you are using), generate some traffic (as per the networks defined in the VPN topology) and provide the output for review.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: