Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC remote backups failing after upgrading to 7.0.1

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,
We discovered that our remote backups stopped working after upgrading FMC from 6.6.4 to 7.0.1.
We are using Windows server 2016 and the FMC is configured to use SMB for backups.
After running pigtail on the FMC, I saw the following error when starting the backup:

"May 12 07:02:07 firepower kernel: [1272236.099554] No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers = 1.0 on mount."

However, both SMB version 1, 2 and 3 are enabled on the Windows server.

I opened a TAC case about this and they replied with this information
"If you are able to use a more secure SMB version like 2.1 or above would be good. If on your end SMB1.0 is something that cannot be change, we can do try the following:
Under advanced options add this: vers=1.0 or 'vers=1.0' and check if it let you test/save the configuration"

Changing to vers=1.0 or 'vers=1.0' in FMC didn't work and we had to change the storage type in FMC from SMB to NFS to get the backups working again, but I am curious why SMB doesn't work even though the server was running SMB version 3.

TAC was not able on giving a clear answer on this so I wonder if anyone else have experienced this problem and perhaps have a solution to get SMB working again.
Thanks
/Chess

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Hmm, confront TAC with this one : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvo74811  , it seems that in any case and or for your version too they should be able to provide a workaround.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

I mention this to TAC and their reply was

"yes we are hitting this defect  CSCvo72179,but I meant over our call  this one https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvo74811 This is an ENH defect and still open and the workaround that if changes the SMB version manually didn’t help us we go over 2nd WA and used NFS"

It still a bit unclear to me, if this issue happens with all versions of SMB or only with version 1. The error message tin the log, only say it's an issue with version 1, so that's why I wonder why it still doesn't work with version 2 or 3.

/Chess

Markus Mueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Chess, were you able to get this resolved ? Ran into the same issue and tac is unable to resolve the issue even after an upgrade to 7.0.4

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no solution for SMB. We ended doing backups with SSH instead.

/Chess

Chess, how are you doing it for SSH?  That wasn't working for us?  What procedures are you using?

Try to re-apply the SMB password in the FMC under the "Remote Storage Device" section

dewey89
Level 1
Level 1

I've had two TAC cases open for this issue.  The first one was so old and they hadn't been doing anything on it for so long I opened another.

We received the Dashboard widget functions back after upgrading to 7.0.2, but we still can't conduct backups.  In our case we can write to an NFS store, but we can't erase.  I've had smart System Admins looking at it and they still can't figure it out if it was a sharing issue.

dewey89
Level 1
Level 1

For those that are having problems is your network for a government.  The TAC on my first case said they were starting to see others with my issue, but they all seem to have DISA SSL certs.  At the time no other commercial cert.  had been a problem.

Rnad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try to re-apply the SMB password in the FMC under the "Remote Storage Device" section

mis
Level 1
Level 1

FMC 7.3.0, remote backups can't be setup due to error when saving the settings. Only local backups function.

Error

Use of uninitialized value $^WARNING_BITS in bitwise xor (^)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card