cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC upgrade error

adeebtaqui
Level 4
Level 4

I am facing  issue with FMC upgrade from 6.2.0.to 6.4.0. 

At 2%, 9% and then finally at 19% upgrade seemed to be hung. I left the upgrade to continue and left office  to check back in morning.

When I returned in morning, I saw task notification saying upgrade installation failure - Unable to update task status - 4 times

Installing Cisco Firepower Mgmt Center Upgrade version: 6.4.0-102

update installation failed: [9%] fatal error: Error running script 200_pre/500_stop_system.sh. 

FMC is 750 and there is no smartnet subscription renewed for this

Please advise and share your knowledge and experience to resolve this.

5 Replies 5

Did check what the log file said under the location the error presented?  Did you find anything useful in there regarding the upgrade failure?

How much free disk-space is available on the FMC?  Might be that there is not enough space to continue with the upgrade.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

No I did not check the logs and memory. Please advise what all I need to check and how to resolve this

Always start by checking logging as much of the information as to why the failure happed can be found there.  Log into the CLI of the FMC and go to the file path mentioned in the error image you posted cat /var/log/sf/Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-6.4.0/200_pre/500_stop_system.sh.log

The above command will output the the full content of the log file so make sure you have your terminal emulator buffer set to the max (optionally you can connect to the FMC using WinSCP or similar and extract the log file and view it using notepad for example.)

Also, check how much disk space is available on the FMC as well as memory and CPU usage.  I assume memory and CPU will be fine, but disk space might be a cause to this issue.

--

Can logs of error for upgrade error be checked on webui of FMC or I need to access the CLI for this?

The log for upgrades needs to be viewed from the CLI.  Or as mentioned earlier you could use a software such as WinSCP and download the file from the FMC and open it using a text editor.

--
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card