Views
Helpful
Replies

FMCv License Part Number

alsayegh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am running FMCv for the first time on Hyper-V using the Microsoft Azure VM.

The web interface prompted me to choose between registering the device with Cisco Smart License Manager or Start a 90-Day trial. I will select the 90-Day trial for now but would like to buy a perpetual license to use it. I only have one ASA-5555 appliance reimaged with FTD at this time. So I just want FMCv license to manage one or two devices at this time. What would be the part number for the license to fulfill that requirement?

Thank  you.

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For FMC virtual appliances, when deployed in public cloud environments, only Bring Your Own Licenses (BYOL) are supported, where an existing virtual license is required.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firesight-management-center/datasheet-c78-736775.html#Orderinginformation

smart License :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-management-center/215838-fmc-and-ftd-smart-license-registration-a.html#anc7

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello Balaji,

I am not deploying it in a cloud environment. It's in premise. So I don't know if the first link is applicable to my case.

The second link talks about the license registration, but don't I have to buy the license first in order to register it?

Thank you.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The part number is FS-VMW-2-SW-K9. that's for VMware ESXi version. There's an alternative for KVM as well (but none for Hyper-V).

We normally quote it with the support contract line item also. That part number is CON-ECMUS-VMWSW2.

List prices are US$500 and $120 respectively (for one year support).

Thank you, Marvin, for your elaboration. Your answer clarifies what was confusing me. I searched through all the links that Balaji provided, and the only part number table for FMCv is the one attached taken from:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firesight-management-center/datasheet-c78-736775.html

It has 8 part numbers for VMware and KVM but none for Azure, even though Microsoft Azure package is available on Cisco downloads. I thought that there was a part number for Azure that I overlooked.

Now, the thing that I still don't understand is, Cisco indicates that FMCv does not require a license for itself but for the devices that it will manage. In that case, why would they have different part numbers for VMware, KVM, etc? Since the license is smart, you should be able to use it on any platform, so its part number should be related to the number of devices it will manage and not the hypervisor used to run it.

The part number you provided FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 is for FireSIGHT. The part numbers in the table start with SF instead of FS. Are they new part numbers for FMC?

Let's say I buy SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9. Will it activate FMCv to manage two FTD enabled ASA appliances with FMCv running in any virtualization platform or does it have to be running in VMware ESXi?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry - yes - use the SF* part numbers. The VMW vs. KVM is more for Cisco to track the platform usae vs where you are entitled to run it.

The only on-premise types supported are ESXi and KVM. The cloud-based options all use packaged applications there with bring your own license.

Once you associate your Smart license with a given FMC, you are entitled to managed the number of devices your license include (2, 10 or not license-limited)

Does this mean that you can, technically, use ESXi license on KVM and vise versa?

If that's the case, then I don't see an issue using ESXi or KVM license on Hyper-V, even though Hyper-V is not officially supported.

The license is for FMC and the right to manage the specified number of devices.

The licensing portal doesn't distinguish between FMC on ESXi, KVM, Azure, AWS, etc.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card