Views
Helpful
Replies

FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 Specifications

BenBen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anybody knows what CPU, Storage, RAM specifications required for vm to install FireSight Management Center FS-VMW-2-SW-K9? 

Thanks.

24 Replies 24

All,

I have the FireSight 6.2 VM installed on a dedicated VMware server and I have assigned 4vCPU and 8GB of RAM to it.  The physical CPUs are Xeon 2.3GHz, network is 1GB and the drives are SAS.  I have not yet added any appliances to it and just browsing around the GUI seems slow.    I plan to attach 10-15 appliances to it and its current performance is concerning.  Is this normal?

Thanks,

Diego

16 GB makes things a bit snappier.

I've found there is also a fair amount of dependence on the local workstation where you are running the browser.

The main issue I see with multiple appliances (or busy firewalls) is the 1 million event hard limit. I've had customers with only two managed ASA 5525X roll over that limit in less than 24 hours.

Is the limit due to using the VM version of FireSight?  Are the events archived somewhere or totally lost?

Thanks,

Is the FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 , the smallest firesight  you can buy? I would only be using it on one ASA 5506 to get the added benefit of firesight.  Good Idea bad idea? From what I read there are other options in the FireSight side.

Also is that cost associated with buying FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 a subscription by year, or not. I know its not required for the 5506, but they show it as recommend for best performance.

Running it with the free ESXi, it would be worth it for a couple hundred I would think. Opinion?

The ASA 5506 FirePOWER features can be managed using ASDM. 90+ % of the FirePOWER Management Center (new name for FireSIGHT Management Center as of release 6.0) functions are available using the local (ASDM-based) management.

If you want to go an actual management center then, yes, the FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 is the entry level license.

The management center license is perpetual (no term length) but most customers also buy it with Smartnet support. The Smartnet support contract does have a term and can be renewed or extended as needed.

Thanks Again Marvin! Good stuff, I need to get my hands in the system more to get use to everything so I don't feel so out of place on this new stuff.

Thank You Again.

Marvin - so if I ordered the FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 originally to manage my 2 ASA's, but then later I add 3 more ASA's w/Firewpower that I want to manage (total 5 now), what should I be ordering? Do I order 2 more of that same part number (bringing my total purchased mgt solutions to 6) so that I'm legal?   It looks to me like there's nothing in my FireSight manager that is going to enforce a 2 node limit...or for me to even put in the additional 2 licenses I'm suggesting I order above.   It's pretty confusing.

motiengineering
Level 1
Level 1

How much FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 weight? 

It's a VM (virtual machine) so it is software only and has no weight.

>How much FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 weight?

This exceeds my physics skill level but I think this should be somewhere close (assuming that the physical infrastructure is moving considerably slower than the speed of light - such as being on the surface of the earth).

I see there being two main components.  The "cold" weight of the infrastructure required to allow the virtual machine to exist, and then the weight of the electrons required to make it run (which I am calling the "running" weight).

If you get the weight of your storage and compute and then calculate the percentage of compute and storage required for the VM, multiple them out, and you should come out with the "cold" weight require to support the VM.

Next, you need to measure the amount of energy that is required to run the VM.  I'd consider using Einstein's formula for special relativity E=mc^2.  Rewrite it as m=E/(c^2).  This should give you the weight of the electrons, particles and subatomic particles and anything else contributing to the running weight.

This won't be perfect, but I'm guessing should be within 1 x 10^-20 kg of the correct weight.

Then add the "cold" and "running" weights together, and I think that would give you a good approximation of the weight of a virtual machine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card