Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD 2100 NTP timezone issue

Ajay Saini
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

We have HA pair of 2100 FTD appliances managed by VFMC running version 6.2.2.109. The issue is related to NTP. The FMC is pointed to our internal NTP server and is showing correct time and timezone.

The issue is with FTD appliances which are getting the UTC time but not taking the timezone. We have tried both options  from the platform settings - using FMC and pointing to NTP server but does not work.

Is there a way to fix the timezone issue.

Thanks in advance.

AJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ajay,

CLI of FTD or FMC for that matter will be in UTC only. That's because of internal DB level communication of processes and designed that way. It does not affect user experience in terms of logs which can be in your time zone based on configuration on FMC GUI.

Please DO NOT change the CLI time zone from UTC on any of firepower products. That might end up corrupting the database and only way to fully recover from that could be to re-image the device.

Hope it helps,

Yogesh

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,

Where do you see the UTC time on the FTD?
In cli you will always see UTC time and that is the way it works.
Here is a Firepower doc about troubleshooting NTP.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firesight-management-center/118626-technote-firesight-00.html

br, Micke

Hello Mikael,

Thanks for the clarification, thats what I wanted to check. The syslogs has the correct timestamp, only the cli on FTD has UTC.

Thanks,

AJ

Hi Ajay,

CLI of FTD or FMC for that matter will be in UTC only. That's because of internal DB level communication of processes and designed that way. It does not affect user experience in terms of logs which can be in your time zone based on configuration on FMC GUI.

Please DO NOT change the CLI time zone from UTC on any of firepower products. That might end up corrupting the database and only way to fully recover from that could be to re-image the device.

Hope it helps,

Yogesh

Thanks Yogesh for the info. I think we are all set with the info provided by you and Mikael.

-

AJ

Dear all. I configured correlation policy and started to collect logs. Moreover i configured that when correlation event happen firepower must send it via email. Actually everything worked correctly. Except one thing that related to  timing. I got correlation event via email it shown that correlation had happened at 06.32 am but when i entered FMC and observed that correlation actually happened at  10.32am. I am sure that FMC shows correct time because i tested it. i created correlation event on purpose and FMC shown correct time. But email didnt. Hope you understood what kind of issue i have faced. Please if possible help me to solve this problem. thanks in advance.

Check the timezone on your FMC. It is probably set to 4 hours offset from UTC/GMT.

Hi MArvin 

Sorry for late reply. I am going to check timezone on FMC. Thank you so much

Dear All,

Timezone at FMC is correct when i configure System>Configuration>Time Synch.

But when i go to device>device management > Device. it show wrong timezone UTC (UTC+0:00). And i go to Platform setting>Time Synchronization set my clock Via NTP from Management Center. also got timezone UTC+0:00. and change to Via NTP from (same with FMC) .. but still have got timezone UTC+0:00... Its possible to change this timezone.?

Please advise.

Thanks

Hi All,

You must go to the menu under the username in the upper left corner of the FMC GUI.

Then click User Preference -> In the Time Zone menu, select your own zone.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 11.37.21.pngUntitled.png

luckily you guys are working for Cisco so things can be "designed" as you pleased because such design won't last a week in a company where designing has to make sense.

Cannot like this observation enough

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card