cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTDs in HA upgrade - From 6.2 to 6.4

morabusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have to upgrade our Firepowers 2110 running just as FTD (ASA not deployed) for first time and I would like to confirm the steps I should follow in order to try to do not miss anything. Checking the Cisco documents I have found that I can directly upgrade from 6.2 to 6.4 and the are the steps:

1- Upload the software version to FMC.

2- Upgrade FMC.

3- Upgrade Standby FTD from FMC.

4- Perform a failover and test former Standby FTD to check if everything is working properly.

5- Upgrader former Active FTD from FMC.

6- Perform a failover again and test everything.

Is this ok? Plus I have another question, will the current embedded ASA image will also get automatically upgraded when I perform the FXOS upgrade? Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's not correct.

For an FMC-managed HA pair of Firepower 2110 appliances running FTD you upgrade the pair as a single operation from FMC. It takes care of sorting out the pair and upgrading one at a time, doing failover etc.

Also, after upgrading FMC to 6.4.0 (or any new FMC version), redeploy to the managed devices before doing anything else.

The FTD image for Firepower 2100 series includes all the necessary software - the embedded LINA ("ASA") code as well as Firepower and FX-OS.

Once you get to 6.4.0, proceed to install the latest patch (currently 6.4.0.9) for both FMC and the managed devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card