cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTDv Appliance Not Starting Up Correctly Following Unexpected Shutdown

davemiddlewick
Level 1
Level 1

We experienced an outage in Azure yesterday afternoon resulting in a number of failed VMs.  One of these failed VMs hosts one of our Cisco FTD appliances and although Microsoft say they have now fixed the issue this appliance is not functioning correctly.

We have a Firepower Management Console VM that manages two FTDs in an Active / Active configuration.  When the problematic node is powered on currently we experience an intermittent loss of internet connectivity for VMs, upon further investigation it seems that all of the required modules are failing to load.  I have attempted to remediate this by restarting the VM in Azure and by resetting it via the FMC, neither of these approaches has resolved the issue.

As a temporary measure I have shut down the problematic node and this seems to have resolved the issue of intermittent connectivity.  Can anybody suggest what the issue may be?

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have seen Firepower service modules fail to recover properly after a hard shutdown due to power failure. In those cases we had to reimage and then reregister to FMC and redeploy policy. This was upon advice from TAC though - I'd suggest starting with a TAC case to see if any less drastic option is possible in your case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card