Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Failover on VSS environment

nprdomingo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is FWSM Failover feature supported on a VSS environment? We currenlty have two 6509 with FWSM on both switches. VSS is currently enabled and I would also want to enable the failover on the FWSM. The current IOS running is s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-vz.122-33.SXI. Thanks

7 Replies 7

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, FWSM works together with VSS as of FWSM release 4.0.4 (I'd suggest going for latest in 4.0 train).

edited: version numbers as per:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/product_bulletin_c25-478751.html

nprdomingo
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply. How about the configuration? Will it be transparent? I can't find any configuration guide on FWSM failover on a VSS environment. Hope you can help. Thanks

Well the FWSM (from config point of view) is not aware whether the setup is VSS, same way it's not aware if the blades in failover are in same or different chassis.

My bad!

Sorry for that 4.0.4 is the release supporting VSS. Sorry for this blunder.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/product_bulletin_c25-478751.html

nprdomingo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So after I upgrade my FWSM to 4.0.4. I will just use the same configuration like the one below?

hostname(config)# failover lan unit primary

hostname(config)# failover lan interface if_name vlan vlan

hostname(config)# failover interface ip if_name ip_addr mask standby ip_addr

For the VLAN, Will it be the same as the VLAN used by VSS?

Well, normally you should split data vlans from failover vlan (requirement) and stateful link vlan (suggested). It's best practice.

I would not recommend mixing VSL and failover vlans - I'm not sure if any parser would complain though.

Thanks! Will test the configuration. And will let you know if I have more inquiries.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: