Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM - module issue

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

I just wanted to post an issue relating to FWSM blade. The Switch is Catalyst 6509 running Cat OS 8.1(3). The FWSM module has been installed in Module 5.

The following are the symptoms:

1. The LED status on the FWSM shows green

2. In show module command output, the status shows faulty.

The following are the troubleshooting steps that I took:

1. Followed the instructions in the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_qanda_item09186a00801e9e26.shtml#q2

The symptoms mentioned in the link match exactly my case. But even after I power down the module, clear config, the show module reports status as "other". And again after some time (10-15 mins), it switches to faulty.

2. Reseated the module back in the same slot, but show module reported a status of other again.

3. Issued the command "set logging session enable" and "set logging level al 5" to enable logging in my SecureCRT session. But there were no related messages. I ran the same commands on the console directly and still got no relevant messages. But there was syslog server that reported the following message:

"%SYS-3-MOD_FAIL:Module 5 failed to come online"

I have captured the details of the show version, show run and show module commands. This is enclosed for your reference.

If there is any suggestion that you have relating to this, please let me know. I would love to try them.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

Did u try to remove and reseat the FWSM module ?

Since your show module output states the status as Faulty would suggest to remove/reseat the card and check up the status of the same..

regds

Hi Prem,

Yes, I have removed and reseated the module.

Thanks

Hello,

I'd try a different slot.

This is an issue:

5 6 WS-SVC-FWM-1 SAD101804J2

Hw : 4.0

Fw : 7.2(1)

Sw : 8.1(3)

Those aren't valid version numbers for an FWSM - it's almost like it thinks it's another module of some sort.

--Jason

Please rate this message if it helps solve some or all of your issue.

Also, there is an onboard console to the FWSM - I'd hook up a cable and see what, if anything, it's saying. Of course, because it's not external, you have to move it to a slot that has a free space above it so you can hook the cable up.

Hi Jason,

thanks a lot for your suggestion. Unfortunately, all the slots are occupied and currently in use.

But I'd love to try the second option you gave that is using a cable to connect to the FWSM. Is there any procedure for this? I was trying to desparately search but could not find. Can you please tell me how to use this?

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: