Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hairpin NAT

Hi all I’m having a problem getting hairpin nat to work on my ASA5524X Code 8.6

I have some services sitting in DMZ_943 these are https services and are accessible from outside the network on a public ip address x.x.x.155 all works fine.

We have a set of guest internet access clients sitting in another DMZ_942 and can access the internet fine, however when these clients need to access the HTTPS server on the public address x.x.x.155 it fails.

Both DMZ are connected to the same ASA

Does anyone know what the correct HAIRPIN NAT statement would be for this?

Other post have suggested the following:

nat (ouside,ouside)

or

nat (inside,inside) source dynamic interface destination static PUBLICIP INTERNAL_WEB_SERVER

Should it b:

nat (dmz_942,dmz_943)…………..?

Drawing2.jpg

Cheers

Paul

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You wouldnt be doing Hairpin NAT as the hosts are behind different interfaces. Hairpin NAT would be when both hosts were behind the same interface.

To me it would seem that you simply need to NAT the DMZ_943 server towards the DMZ_942 interface with the public IP address.

Naturally what you have to take into consideration is that if you have some hosts on the DMZ_942 that HAVE TO HAVE access to the server with its real IP address then the above NAT configuration suggestion wouldnt work. In that case you might have to resort to a Static Policy NAT configuration in the new software NAT format.

If you are configuring the Static NAT for the DMZ server with a simple Network Object NAT like below then it would be easy to do it for the other interfaces too

Static NAT for DMZ -> WAN

object network SERVER

host x.x.x.x

nat (DMZ_943,outside) static x.x.x.115

Static NAT for DMZ -> DMZ

object network SERVER-TO-DMZ_942

host x.x.x.x

nat (DMZ_943,DMZ_942) static x.x.x.115

I am not sure how big your current configuration is but probably the easiest way to determine the correct NAT configuration for you would be to see the current configuration

Hope this helps

- Jouni

Hi Jouni - thanks for your reply.

All the clients will need to access the server via it's public URL and IP this is because it's tied in with the SSL certificate and chain.

I assumed I would need hairpin NAT because the connections are going out to the internet resolving for DNS and then returning back in the same interface (outside) thus requiring the command same-security-traffic permit intra-interface, and a matching U-turn NAT statement?

Paul

Hi,

You cant configure the ASA to act so that a connection would first go out its "outside" interface and then enter the "outside" interface.

What you would simply need to do is NAT the DMZ server towards the other DMZ interface to its public IP address just like you have done towards the "outside" currently.

If the ACL rules permit the traffic then the connections should work just fine.

Without seeing the current configuration I naturally cant give you an exact answer on what the NAT configurations should look like.

- Jouni

Hi Jouni

Thanks again for your reply.

The following twice NAT got it working:

nat (dmz99,any) source static NET_DMZ99 NET_DMZ99 destination static PUBLICIP_19x.x.x.156 MAIL_INTERFACE service HTTPS HTTPS

Thanks

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: