cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to apply Policing on Cisco ASAs with leased lines?

m.junghage
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure policing and/or shaping on a setup of 2 x ASA 5505 Sec Plus. The units are placed in office A and office B and each have a ISP connection to the internet and a leased line with a capacity of 4/4 Mbit/s for interoffice communication.

On each ASA there's four subnets. VLAN 200 is used to connect the offices through the leased line.

Subnets:

Outside = 2

Data = 10

Voice = 100

Linknet = 200

I've read a lot of articles and posts about shaping and policing on the ASA but still can't get it to work like I wan't to. I'm trying to limit all traffic besides IP-telephony traffic to 3 Mbit/s and thus reserving 900 Kbit/s for voice traffic. I tried setting a service-policy on the linknet interface on each ASA and set Traffic match to Any traffic and QoS settings for both input and output.

I can see traffic passing the policy when I run the "show service-policy police" command but it never seems to be high enough to be policed which is strange since the ASDM monitoring shows that I'm pushing 3900 kbit/s. I file transfers verifies that policing does'nt work.

Any clues where I should start looking?

Best regards

Markus

2 Replies 2

m.junghage
Level 1
Level 1

I've compiled a simple schematic showing the scenario described in my previous post.

m.junghage
Level 1
Level 1

I finally got shaping to work on the desired interface. I had the commands right the whole time but when I tried to configure a "class class-default" under a new "policy-map" I pressed TAB to call up the command instead of writing it. This actually sent me down a level and I got the "ERROR: % class-default is a well-known class and is not configurable under class-map" error.

A bit irritating error but I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card