cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to change the default outside interface in ASDM home page ?

nlariguet
Level 1
Level 1

I have two interfaces with secLevel=0 (say e0 and e4) and ASDM is showing the last one (eg: e4)

How I configure it to show e0 for example ?

6 Replies 6

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Configure the interfaces with a meaningfull name.

HTH>

what do you mean with meaningful names ?

int e0

nameif outside#0

seclevel=0

int e4

nameif outside#4

seclevel=0

ain't outside# a meaningful name ?

and by the way; what has the name to do with selecting any given interface to be shown on the ASDM home page ?

please, explain, thanks !

Well my point is the ASDM is not the best tool in the world, it does not beat CLI.

And you have 2 interfaces with the same name and the # symbol in it - the only difference is the number.

SO try and give them 2 seperate names - for testing, as the ASDM might not like the # ??

one thing I cannot agree more with you: although ASDM stands far far ahead than SDM (and not to mention the latest CP flash-based version) when it comes to GUIs Cisco is still in the jurassic period.

the point to use ASDM is here is just for monitor/debugging; it's far easier to see a self-updating graph than dwelving deep in the output of CLI commands

the names for both outsides in my case: I have a different router for each ISP and a inner router, all comming thru inside1 goes NATed to outside0/router0, all comming inside2 goes outside4/router4

what I lost is just this, the ability to monitor each interface as desired

it seems ridiculous that the outside interface is hard-coded on the ASDM GUI

why there's no command to set it as required ? ... say: asdm output interface whatever

thanks anyway !

The outside interface is not hardcoded on ASDM.

ASDM has to show traffic on the outside interface for you to track your ISP traffic. So it needs to choose which to show if you have more than one with low security level. The decision that was made was to use the lowest security interface that is named outside or alphabetically if there is no outside.

It might be better if you could chose which interface to track or if you could track more than one.

But I am explaining the idea behind what ASDM shows so you can follow why it is doing it.

I hope it helps.

PK

"ASDM has to show traffic on the outside interface for you to track your ISP traffic."

... of course

"So it needs to choose which to show if you have more than one with low security level."
"The decision that was made was to use the lowest security interface that is named outside or alphabetically if there is no outside."

... if the user can't choose then it is hardcoded;
... if nameif outside present then show it by default
... if no nameif outside present then choose the first one with low sec level BUT put a combo box on top of it for the user to change it on site if needed

... and by the way I don't see any reason why there has to be an interface named outside regardless of its actual function
... you may call your outside edge, lab, internet, whatever

"It might be better if you could chose which interface to track or if you could track more than one."

... definetly; and since it is a trivial but a very useful feature and I presume you are on the ASDM team I hope I'll see it on the next version

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: