Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reset Cisco PIX 515E password from scrach please help

Eric Boadu
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I have Cisco PIX 515E for my Lab and can't recover the password. It is not connected to the network. I have configured server, address, gateway from the monitor mode and tftp not seeing my laptop. Any idea and best way to reset or recover password. Please help ASAP

Monitor> server 192.168.1.5

Monitor> address 192.168.1.2

Monitor> Gateway 192.168.1.1

Monitor> file np70.bin

Monitor> int 1

Could not ping gateway address and could that be the ethernet port is manual shutdown? Any way to set PIX to factory default would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Eric

7 Replies 7

Just to verify, what is the version that you are running on the PIX? Is your PC's IP 192.168.1.5?

can you try connecting your PC directly to one of the PIX interfaces (E1) and then run the commands:

Monitor> Gateway 192.168.1.1

Monitor> file np70.bin

Monitor> interface 1

The commands need to be typed correctly in here. Try using the ping command and make sure that your PC doesn't have the windows firewall blocking any traffic.

I recommend you using TFTPD32 for this type of recovery.

I assume you have this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

Thank you Pual for your respond. Yes, 192.168.1.5 is my PC and pix version is 8.0. I have disable windows AV and firewall and my Pc onnect directly to E1. Ping don't work, I run wireshark on my PC and could not detect address and gateway.  Cable from PC to pix E1 tested good.   All commands are type correctly. I jus't don't understand why I couldn't ping or load np70.bin or 80.bin. I tried to reach out to previous engineer and he was not available. I am using solar wind tftp server however I will try what you recomended tftpd32.

Could this be possible if pix E0 and E1 interface shutdown manually and probably why not able to initiate ping session?

Thanks,

Eric

If pix E0 and E1 interface are shutdown manually could this be possible for not able to initiate ping session?

Thx,

Eric

when you perform the password recovery from monitor mode and select the interface it gets enabled.

Have you tried with another PC and with tftpd32?

yeah good point Paul! I'll try another laptop with tftpd32 server tomorrow and reply back. Keeping my finger cross

E

Paul, I was able to resolve the issue by eliminating the gateway address since there is no gateway router between my laptop PC and the Pix firewall.

All I needed was these commands from  the monitor mode betwwen laptop PC and the Pix firewall using regular cat6 cable and solarwind tftp server.

Solution:

Disable windows firewalls, AV, IPS

load np70.bin to tftp server (Solarwind) or any

Set TCP/IP settings on PC to 192.168.1.5===>>cat6 cable====Pix port E1 or 0

power Pix up and hit the break or Esc key

Monitor>

enter

Monitor> interface 1:

Monitor> file np70.bin

yes,

yes,

reboot

You should be able to change paasword. Hopefully this will help any one in pix password recovery situation.

Thanks,

Eric

Good to hear

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: