cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input errors, overruns, and input reset drops on 10Gig interface

Lyron Cobbins
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with input errors, overruns, and input reset drops on the inside interface of an 5580-40 (v8.2.5: Transparent mode)  The box is not stressed at all according to the 'show' commands in the Cisco troubleshooting performance document for PIX/ASA v8.2.5.  Nothing stands out because is pretty much normal, nothing (processes, RAM, blocks, IO...) really being highly utilized.  I have replaced the 10Gig card and that seemed to help because the rate of errors has gone down tremedously.  The next step is to RMA the whole box.

My question is what would be the cause of the inside interface to stop processing traffic (I say that because the syslog server stops receiving messages) for some periods of 30 seconds periodically throughout the day and clients lose their connections (ie Outlook, IBM Sametime, Oracle, MSSQL..etc).  Can the issue be somewhere related to the overruns and input errors?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Kimberly Adams
Level 3
Level 3

Lyron,

Is this your "inside or LAN" interface?  What are the speed and duplex settings of the firewall interface and its link partner?  Whenever I have seen input errors and such, most of the time this is a duplex issue causing the errors.  Just a first place to start looking.  If the link partner is not capable of being speed locked, the maybe auto would be or is they are not locked then try locking them in.

Thanks and Cheers!

Kimberly

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Thanks and Cheers! Kimberly Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Currently, it's on BOTH interfaces.  The devices on both ends are hard coded for 10G-FULL and they can't be configured otherwise.  Would this situation cause sporatic network drops?  Maybe I need to look more into our syslogging and see what error messages we should be filtering for.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card