Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing a ASA5505 on a home network for VPN connection

JAYESH RAMAIYA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have been asked to install a ASA5505 on a home network. The home network has a home broadband connection which the ISP provider supplies with an IP address. This is only for 6 weeks until the new line comes in. I know this is going to cause problems but we have no choice but to impletment this.

My questions are below and feedback/assistance would be greatfully appreciated.

1, We have a home hub supplied by the ISP which is configured by an IP address which is NOT static. Can we not use the ASA 5505 instead. I know that if our ISP change the IP address we have to change the IP address on the 5505.

2, Will we be able to use the home network broadband to create a secure connection?

Thank you for your input            

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I would use the ASA5505 right after the ISP connection and let the ASA get the IP address with DHCP.

You will need to have the device in front of the ASA as a bridge device so that ASA can use DHCP to aquire the IP address for itself.

What kind of VPN connection are you planning on building?

• Do you want to provide VPN client connectivity to the ASA and through it the possibility to access the Home network securely?
  • Do you want to create a VPN connection to some remote site from this ASA with the Dynamic public IP address.

Both are possible but naturally have some limitations when we are not using a Static Public IP address.

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card