cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Directed Broadcast

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 2901K9 router at a remote location. Insite Interface = 10.10.10.1/24 Outside Interface = 20.20.20.1/24

I have set "no ip directed boradcast" on both interfaces. ( I think it's the default settings)

But still when I ping 20.20.20.255 I get a reply from 10.10.10.1

How can I disable this?

7 Replies 7

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think you need an ACL to disable this.

Modified as wrong info provided. Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

That's surprising, then what is the need to run "no ip directed broadcast" command at the interface level?

Directed broadcasts allow a remote device to send a broadcast message to a network segment using a single unicast packet. Once reaching the layer 3 device directly connected to the network for which the broadcast is intended the message is sent as a link-layer broadcast to all hosts on a network segment. The directed broadcast feature is often targeted in a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) because a single unicast packet can result in a very large number of replies. The directed broadcast feature should be disabled.

I am aware of ip directed broadcast. My question is why is it not affective inspite of having the command at interface level?

I have a router at the remote location.

Inside Interface = 10.10.10.1/24 Outside Interface = 20.20.20.1/24

I have set "no ip directed boradcast" on both interfaces. ( I think it's the default settings in the latest IOS)

But still when I ping 20.20.20.255 from my location, I get a reply from 10.10.10.1 which is the inside interface of the remote router.

Avilt: I fully mi-understood your question. Ignore my reply above and take the other answer from turnera which is the one describing directed broadcast accurately.
As this is a wireless forum can you move the thread to the appropriate forum so you get better help?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Can any one provide me the explanation?

I have a router at the remote location.

Inside Interface = 10.10.10.1/24 Outside Interface = 20.20.20.1/24

I have set "no ip directed boradcast" on both interfaces. ( I think it's the default settings in the latest IOS)

But still when I ping 20.20.20.255 from my location (remotely), I get a reply from 10.10.10.1 which is the inside interface of the remote router.

The answer requires a correct understanding of what the command is intended to do. The command is intended to prevent receiving a packet with destination of broadcast address and forwarding it as a broadcast onto the local subnet. The command is working as intended since the packet is not forwarded. What you are observing is the router, acting as a host, responding to the packet but not forwarding the packet.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card