Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP NAT Translation on Cisco 881 Firewall

Dear Cisco Community,

I have a Cisco 881 Firewall and we just putty into this firewall and donot have GUI Access. Some computer was trying to access the website shabihello.com and i found the ip address of the site to be  146.112.61.105 by running thee following command in cmd: tracert www.shabihello.com

Now i want to find out at the Firewall which computer was trying to access this site shabhihello.com. Somebody suggested to to IP NAT Translation on the Cisco 881 Firewall. But i donot know which commands to type that will show me the ip of the computer which accessed this site. So, kindly help me out in this at the earliest.

Regards,

Vikram.

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the reference guide to check NAT Translation :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-address-translation-nat/8605-13.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The command would be:

show ip nat trans | inc 146.112.61.105

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-address-translation-nat/8605-13.html

cheers,

Seb.

Dear Seb,

When i type that command then nothing is displayed as the cursor moves to the next line as show below:

FW01#show ip nat trans | inc 146.112.61.105

FW01#

That means that there is not an active translation in the NAT state table.

Are you sure there is an active flow to the that destination when you typed the command?

cheers,

Seb.

Dear Seb,

I want to outline what i want to achieve here. Maybe then you will guide me accordingly. So, i got an alert in Cisco umbrella that a computer is trying to access a restricted site: www.shabihello.com. Now, i have been tasked to find which computer tried to access that site. Currently we have a Cisco 881 Firewall in the Environment (with no access to GUI on it). So, i undertook the following steps:

1. I wanted to know IP of www.shabihello.com so i went to cmd and typed: ping shabihello.com and it pointed to 146.112.61.105.

2. Then i went to the Firewall and typed the following command as i want to find which computer accessed it:

#show ip nat translation | inc 146.112.61.105

#

I got none of the results.

But when i type show ip nat translation then i get the following result;

Inside global               inside local                   outside local              Outside global

90.0.0.170:51828      10.64.35.110:51828   146.112.63.7:443       146.112.63.7:443

90.0.0.170:54262      10.64.35.110:51828   10.65.1.3:445              10.65.1.3:445

90.0.0.170:4500         90.0.0.170:4500        216.138.244.108:450 

Kindly help me identify which computer tried to access www.shabihello.com and also outline what would be the best steps to do it ?

Thanks,

Vikram.

Hi Vikram,

Your methods are correct, but as I said before the entries in the NAT state table will timeout and be removed. In your case you have checked the state table too late and evidence of the translation is no longer there.

The crucial information has been lost.

Moving forward you have two options, enable debug logging for NAT and send the logs to a syslog server which you can search through should the incident reoccur.

Or, my personal preference, would be to configure netflow collection on the router and export it to a visualisation tool. I have always recommended nfsen (https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfsen/) for this purpose. Not only will this tell you the source IP from within your network which accessed the external IP, but additional metrics, such has volume of data transferred and in which direction, which may be of use.

cheers,

Seb.

Dear Seb,

Thanks for your help on this as you have been a great help.

Thanks.

Vikram.

Dear Seb,

Thanks for your help on this as you have been a great help.

Thanks.

Vikram.

No problem, please rate and mark this post as answered :)

You need to have active session to see the translation, if there is no active session you will not see any translations.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card