Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS Signature License

jvalin_ccie
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I would like to know if we have the smartnet of Cisco ASA with AIP-SSM module, Does cisco also includes IPS signature license along with the smartnet or is it seperately we have to buy?

Thanks & Regards,

Jvalin

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IPS signature license needs to be purchased separately. Smartnet only covers the hardware and also the IPS software download, plus TAC support.

View solution in original post

Yes, that will work. Not a problem at all.

Yes you are correct..

You should just purchase "Cisco Services for IPS" which covers both Signature Update as well as Smartnet.

9 Replies 9

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IPS signature license needs to be purchased separately. Smartnet only covers the hardware and also the IPS software download, plus TAC support.

Thanks for your reply Jennifer.

If I enroll the device ASA/AIP-SSM with one vendor for smartnet and buy the signature license from othe vendor will that work?

Yes, that will work. Not a problem at all.

thanks Jennifer for your immediate response.

I have series of questions.

I read on one of the FAQ's that

1) if we buy cisco services for IPS then cisco smartnet is already covered with it and signatures , tac ,hw warranty everything is covered with it.

so is it ok if we buy cisco services for IPS module and ASA only smartnet.?

Regards,

Jvalin

Yes you are correct..

You should just purchase "Cisco Services for IPS" which covers both Signature Update as well as Smartnet.

Hi Jennifer,

the problem is here that we are buying cisco devices from one vendor and getting support related to smarnet from another vendor. So if we buy cisco services for IPS from the 1st vendor then its against the contract.

Are you not able to purchase it from the first vendor?

How are you getting support normally? through the vendor, or directly to cisco TAC?

Well purchasing is not an issue here. The contract with the buying vendor states only buying and not support and the contact with support vendor is only support not buying.

So If we buy "Cisco Services for IPS" which covers smartnet (support) as well as signature license it contradicts the above agreement done between the three.

The only solution is see here is to buy devices from the 1st vendor and buy only signature licenses from the 1st vendor whereas enrol only for smartnet of asa/aip-ssm from the 2nd vendor.

1st vendor says - regular signature updates comes under support and not buying.

2nd vendor says - regular signature updates should be bought from the 1st vendor as they are only for suppor of the hardware.

Hmm, that sounds complicated, and yes, your only solution seems to be the only solution if that is how the vendors work. Otherwise, normally people buy the hardware, and Cisco Services for IPS (which is Support and signature update) from the same vendor.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card