Views
Helpful
Replies

Licencing for VPN remote access on multiple Firepower devices

kasper123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We need to buy about 20 Firepower 1010 devices for as many sites. The devices should support basic remote access VPN for just one or two accounts. I see that the free Remote Access VPN licenses that came with firewalls are now gone, and we need to buy Remote Access VPN licenses that come in bundles for a minimum of 25 users.

What is the cheapest option we have in this situation? I read something but not sure whether I understood correctly that we can buy 25 licenses and then spread them over the 20 firewalls since it will be the same one or two users connecting to all of them. Is this correct or do we have to buy licenses for each of the 20 devices?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can choose to license the individual devices or the users. With 20 firewalls it's likely that the licensing per user is more cost effective. You need the AnyConnect plus license (well it is named Cisco Secure Client Advantage now) for the number of humans that will use the VPN. These licenses can be activated on all your VPN gateways.

More can be found in the ordering guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/secure-client-og.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

You can choose to license the individual devices or the users. With 20 firewalls it's likely that the licensing per user is more cost effective. You need the AnyConnect plus license (well it is named Cisco Secure Client Advantage now) for the number of humans that will use the VPN. These licenses can be activated on all your VPN gateways.

More can be found in the ordering guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/secure-client-og.html

kasper123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanx @Karsten Iwen 

And how is it enforced? Do I need to have an FMC where all firepower devices would be managed in order to be able to use this VPN licensing/sharing? If not, how is the same license activated on multiple devices?

Like the FTD licenses, the VPN licenses must be assigned to your Smart Licensing. Each device will pull a license from smart licensing when you enable Remote-Access VPN.

kasper123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you @Karsten Iwen 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: