Views
Helpful
Replies

License - Cisco Firepower Management Center for VMWare

Steve Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased 2 FPR-1010

I need to use FMC to configure these devices as the WAN is PPPOE and that configuration is not supported by FDM

I installed FMC 6.4.0.3 for VMWare but now is complaining about a license

How do I get a license for FMC ?   I presume this license is free ??  I don't see anything in the Smart Licensing area that related to the FMC that I've registered.

Steve

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FMC is not a free product. It requires a license. When you purchase it, a license will be deposited in your Smart Account. You can then register and assign the license to your FMC instance.

It can be purchased as a 2-, 10-, or 25-(managed)device license. There's also an associated Smartnet support contract that entitles you to TAC support and software upgrades.

FAQ about Firepower Licensing

The thought "you're kidding" comes to mind

I buy a Cisco product but it can't be configured without buying another Cisco product !!

You can manage all the basic features for no extra charge using FDM. To use what Cisco considers advanced features you need FMC - and a license for it. The 2-device license is US$500 list price.

It's not a much different model than Palo Alto Networks firewalls with Panorama or Fortinet firewalls with FortiManager. PANW requires you to start with a 25 device license at US$10,000 list price.  FortiManager is US$1250 list for 10 device license.

As stated previously, I am unable to configure with FTD since it does not support the configuring of a PPOE interface.

Per this doc : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/640/fdm/fptd-fdm-config-guide-640/fptd-fdm-interfaces.html

Of course, this is not stated anywhere in the product literature prior to purchase.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card