cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link down in rommon

Gene Everhart
Level 1
Level 1

When I enter into rommon mode to upload an image, the link is down on my interface to set up the TFTP. However, I have configured this port for no shutdown. When in enabled mode, the link is up with no further configuration.

Is there a way to make this port stay up when going into rommon mode?

Do I have to do use rommon mode to upload an image on a specific port?

Right now I have port 0/2 setup as my inside port connecting to my pc acting as the TFTP server. Even on the second part of the command it shows the link as up. FYI, I can ping from the ASA to the PC, but cannot ping from the PC to the ASA.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

.Where did you get the image from?  I have a feeling that the ASA image you are trying to download is not compatible with the 5510 architecture.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

The image came right off the Cisco site, under the 5510 downloads. However, I'm not far enough along in the process to have an image problem. Just trying to get it to the point where it will connect via TFTP to start the image upload.

I know that some cisco devices will not allow you to upload an image that is not supported via ROMMON.  Now I have never tested this on the ASA but I was just guessing that this might be the issue you are facing.

Have you tried uploading using xmodem? 

--

--

No, have not tried xmodem, not familiar with that. I'll do some checking to see if that image will work with rommon. Maybe I'll try another image to see if this may be the issue as well.

alanasp007
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever figure out how to get the link state to go to up? All my links are down, and so I cannot transfer the new image to the ASA. I have changed the config each time i put the cable in another port on the asa, and I have tried different cables and different laptops. I if could get the link to an up state i could finish the process. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: