Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing and Monitoring Cisco ASA with PRIME

AG engineer
Level 1
Level 1

Good day!
Tell me if it is possible to configure the ASA using PRIME. Or there are great restrictions on control and monitoring.
There is no configuration tab.
No information about CPU usage, memory
I can not download the image, link to the description of the problem Download image failure 
Are there any restrictions on the use of ASA with PRIME? Or am I doing something wrong?
Where to get the information you need.

The screenshots provide a visual display of the problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prime Infrastructure and ASAs has always been a disappointment. Ironically I get much better ASA visibility with SolarWinds Orion NPM than with Prime.

What you are seeing is typical and I wouldn't count on it changing. After over more than a decade working with the two products together I have concluded that nobody at Cisco makes their integration a priority.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prime Infrastructure and ASAs has always been a disappointment. Ironically I get much better ASA visibility with SolarWinds Orion NPM than with Prime.

What you are seeing is typical and I wouldn't count on it changing. After over more than a decade working with the two products together I have concluded that nobody at Cisco makes their integration a priority.

Marvin, thanks for your answer!
We are planning to buy a license from SolarWinds NPM and NCM
Tell me, do you continue to use Prima, in what tasks? Or switched to SolarWinds entirely?

I work supporting multiple customers. Some use Prime Infrastructure - especially those using it for managing their Cisco wireless systems and wired switches. It does a pretty good job at that. Others with SolarWinds Orion (NPM, NCM etc.) find it does a better job - especially when managing non-Cisco devices.

Each has it's quirks and limitations. In general, I'd say SolarWinds products are better overall - which one would expect since network and systems management is their sole business focus. Prime Infrastructure is just one of thousands of Cisco products and not a flagship platform that gets the "A team" focus on its features.

For Cisco ASAs specifically, SolarWinds Orion NPM and NCM do a very good job at polling and rendering the information in a useful and easy to understand manner. We get all the platform health info (CPU memory, interface statistics etc.) as well as details on VPN status (both site-to-site and remote access), failover etc. in the NPM GUI. NCM has no problem pulling and pushing configurations.

Thank you very much for the great, detailed answer! Have a nice day!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card