Views
Helpful
Replies

migration FMC 750 to FMC 1600

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dear Experts

i have a currently FMC 750 managing FP 7110 , i want to migrate to FMC 1600 but the migration guide has no documentation to such model becz FM750 replacement is FMC 1000 and currently fmc1000 is also end of sale and replacement is FMC 1600,

Here is the migration guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fmc_model_migration/b_FMC_Model_Migration_Guide/about_fmc_model_migration.html#id_111597

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fmc_model_migration/b_FMC_Model_Migration_Guide/m_fmc_migration_workflow.html#id_111629

Please advise.

regards

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

While not explicitly called out as a supported migration path, it might work.The migration is basically a back and restore with the model number "tricked" to allow the restore to be used on a different model that the original.

What version are you running on your FMC 750? It (and the managed sensors) should be at 6.4 so that the version is compatible with the FMC 1600:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/compatibility/firepower-compatibility.html#id_37880

Once you are able to successfully migrate you can then update to a more recent release (such as the currently-recommended 6.6.4)

Dear Marvin

please find the attached  screenshot for guidelines and limitation for upgrade where it strictly mentioned that it cannot be restored to different appliance instead use import/export feature,

where is import/export feature ?? configuration?

Regards

Altaf

Your original posting asked about migration of FMC from one model to another. For that, as the document you linked in your original post notes, we backup the FMC and then restore onto the target system using the script:

sf-migration.pl backup_file_path

...vs a straight "restore" from within the target FMC's GUI.

I believe the citation you provided in your later post is talking about backup/restore of FTD devices. That's a completely different question. For those, indeed it is not supported to restore to a different model. If you wanted to migrate - for example from a Firepower 2100 series to a 4100 series - the steps would be much more involved.

A partial list would include: Bootstrap each device, register to FMC, configure device settings like interfaces routing etc., setup any VPNs, apply platform settings.

Once you did all of that you could target the NAT and ACP policies currently applied to the old device to the new device. Any necessary objects are already in FMC so no need to worry about those.

Deploy everything, check your work and then schedule the cutover during which you move over the network interfaces from the old to the new. (Or potentially activate entirely new interfaces if you changed things like 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps or discrete physical interfaces to subinterfaces etc.)

Hello Marvin

yes u r correct i  want to migrate from fmc700 to fmc1600, how i can achieve that ??? in simple ways can u link me to the document.

Becz the document which i m referring is showing me the Table 1. Standalone Firepower Management Center Model Migration Workflow,  in which it is mentioning in step 1 Back up the Firepower Management Center   and step 2 Prepare for Migration 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fmc_model_migration/b_FMC_Model_Migration_Guide/m_fmc_migration_workflow.html

so according to your email either by script or by the below method , can u link to the document for the below method

..vs a straight "restore" from within the target FMC's GUI.

Regards

The direct restore method is ONLY to restore onto same model. So it does not apply in your use case.

The links you cited already show how to create a backup and then use it with the script for model migration. That is the only supported way to migrate from one FMC model to another.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: