cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move a ASA Fault Tolerant pair to new switches

mdieken011
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 ASA 5525's in a HA pair.  I need to move them to a new switch.  I am planning on moving all the interfaces of the standby FW then make sure failover is re-established.  I will then failover to the standby and move the last of the interfaces.  Is there anything that I may be forgetting here.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

that process is OK. but plan the migration process correctly. when you remove standby ASA and connect to new switch, standby switch loos connectivity with primary ASA.so standby will become primary for new switch. if you have connectivity between old switch and new switch incase, there will be 2 primary ASAs and can occur disruption. 

also make sure to clear ARP in ASAs after moving to new switches to immediate traffic transfer with new switch. sometimes (i experienced 2 times) ASA will keep old MACs till timeout the table.

also if you have any LACP channels, prepare new switch with that and make sure they are working properly. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

that process is OK. but plan the migration process correctly. when you remove standby ASA and connect to new switch, standby switch loos connectivity with primary ASA.so standby will become primary for new switch. if you have connectivity between old switch and new switch incase, there will be 2 primary ASAs and can occur disruption. 

also make sure to clear ARP in ASAs after moving to new switches to immediate traffic transfer with new switch. sometimes (i experienced 2 times) ASA will keep old MACs till timeout the table.

also if you have any LACP channels, prepare new switch with that and make sure they are working properly. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card