Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi vlan on the inside interface of firewall

ChuTichNuoc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a layer 3 switch (Cisco Catalyst 3560) with multiple vlans configured on it, and connect to switch is inside interface of ASA 5505. Only host in the same vlan with inside interface of firewall can ping it, but I need all vlans can.

How would I config this?

8 Replies 8

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Did you configure any layer 3 interface on this switch? If yes, normally all vlans should be able to communicate each others.
If the goal is to keep layer 2 only on the switch and layer 3 on the firewall then you need to create subinterfaces on your inside cable with all your vlans and allow traffic between them or configure the same security level and put the command same-security-traffic permit inter-interface

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

All my vlans can communicate with each others.

My goal is make all vlans can go through firewall.

But inside interface of firewall can access only one vlan.

Do you have any idea?

You want all vlans to be filtered by the firewall when communicating between each others?

If so, you have a simple option which consists into moving all your layer 3 to your firewall. For that you can have a trunk interface amd create your svi (interface vlan) on your asa. Be careful you're limited to 20 vlans.
A doc that can help:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/conf_gd/int5505.pdf

If you want to keep all your vlans on your switch and just route your traffic on asa for Internet access, you can have an interco subnet between your switch and your asa, and then add a default static route in your switch pointing to your asa. On your asa you will have to configure a static route pointing to your switch off you can summarize all your inside networks (or multiple routes depending on your IP scheme).

Let me know which option you're trying to do, i can then show a quick config example.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Same problem here

I'd like to keep the VLANs on the Layer 3 switch within my Inside network

just dont know how to make the ASA5505 to route all of them to the internet

my VLANs live happely togather well connected with one another, all hosts are pinging 

each other easely, but no connection with the edge router, or the ASA's outside network. I'm a student, and this is killing me. Please, any advize will be very appreciated. Thank you

Screenshot (816).png 

Herald Sison
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried creating a static route on your ASA? Try creating this maybe this can help. just let me know

route INSIDE 192.168.0.0(your inside network subnet) 255.255.0.0(subnetmask) 192.168.1.1(your Layer3 gateway ip) 1

Thank Herald,

it is a great idea.

The only problem I have now is, how to implement it,

i'm a student and not very experienced one, 

that is why I learn from examples, and not so good with the idea on its own.

If you can demonstrate with example how and in which device to nest the commands,

it will be splendid.

Many Thanks

George

are you using FMC? ASDM? FDM or pure CLI? let me know so i can show you.

no special GUI

just Packet Tracer's user interface simulation

I use P/T for all my work, no real equipment involved

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card