Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiplayer Games block

bhalbautista
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just would like to know if possible to block the multiplayer games?? I'm using ASA 5515-X. Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I imagine that a ASA alone can't give you a clean way to achieve this unless the game service uses the same ports, which I guess they usually do.

So I guess the first option I would look into would be to check which destination ports are used for the games and perhaps even go as far as finding the public IP addresses they use.

I'm kinda wondering what the ASA CX will be able to do. I think it has both Web Security but also some sort of Application Visibility and Control. What the latter means in practical use I am not sure as I havent gotten a ASA5500-X model with CX yet but am hoping to

I guess you might go as far as blocking DNS querys for specific DNS names on the ASA and in this way block some connections.

I havent personally had the need to look into blocking multiplayer games since this usually is no problem in business customer networks. Other than perhaps people wasting their time playing games on Facebook or something similiar

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

Yeah, actually I'm thinking that I might be intersected the other services well if I'm going to block the specific ports. Honestly, I just want to figure out if it's possible to do it, so I can implement this on our network infra. Btw thanks jouni, I'm glad that you always answer my queries. Thanks again for the second time around.

-bhal

Yes, it is possible to block multiplayer games and other types of online gaming traffic using a Cisco ASA 5515-X firewall. To do this, you can create Access Control Lists (ACLs) and implement application or protocol filtering rules to restrict or block specific types of traffic.

Here's a general overview of the steps you can take to block multiplayer games:

1. Access Control Lists (ACLs): Create ACLs to control traffic flow through the firewall. For this purpose, you'll want to focus on the outbound traffic.

2. Identify Gaming Traffic: To block multiplayer games, you need to identify the specific protocols or ports used by these games. Common multiplayer gaming protocols include UDP and TCP ports used by games like Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, etc.

3. Block Identified Ports or Protocols: Once you've identified the ports or protocols used by multiplayer games, create rules in your ACLs to block traffic on those specific ports or protocols.

4. Content Filtering: In some cases, gaming services and applications may use dynamic port ranges or encrypted traffic. In such cases, you might consider deep packet inspection and application layer filtering solutions provided by the ASA, such as Cisco Firepower Services. These can help identify and block gaming traffic based on application signatures.

5. Schedule and Monitoring: Implement your ACLs and monitoring rules carefully. You might want to schedule when the rules are active (e.g., to avoid blocking during non-peak hours) and closely monitor the impact on network performance.

6. Logging: Configure logging so that you can track and monitor the effectiveness of your rules and the attempted gaming traffic.

Keep in mind that blocking gaming traffic can be a complex task, as game developers may change their protocols or use encryption to bypass these restrictions. You'll need to stay vigilant and periodically update your rules as needed.

Additionally, ensure that your organization's policies and acceptable use policies align with blocking gaming traffic. Inform your users about the rules and restrictions to avoid any potential conflicts or concerns.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card