cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple ASA Configs for Cold Spare

kerryjcox
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few sites all running Cisco ASA 5510s. They all share the same asa (8.4(4)1) and asdm (6.4.9) version, but their configs differ significantly. I have a cold spare sitting in my office in the event we have a physical failure.

Is there a quick and simple way I can load up multiple configs and then boot up the cold spare to then run the config from Site_A or Site_B?  Just looking for a quick solution rather than doing a full restore should something fail spectacularly. 

Nice to say upon bootup, using confreg perhaps, to boot Site_A config rather than Site_C.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kerry

1 Reply 1

Hi Kerry,

You can store different config files in the flash or on an external FTP/TFTP server; and name them for ex SiteA.cfg SiteB.cfg SiteC.cfg... When you start the cold standby, either have an empty startup-config or you can clear the running-config after it boots:

conf t

clear configure all

then you can quickly copy the saved site config as the running-config and save it

copy flash:/SiteA.cfg running-config

wr me

NOTE: copy flash:/SiteA.cfg run actually merges SiteA.cfg with the current running config; that's why I recommend a clear configure all first

Option 2 would be using the boot config command:

conf t

clear configure all

boot config disk0:/SiteA.cfg

wr me

reload

NOTE: this requires a reboot to validate that the cold standby actually booted the correct config; therefore will take a bit more time to get the ASA ready.

Hope this helps

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card