cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT inside Site-to-Site VPN Tunnel

YECA911ORG
Level 1
Level 1

I have to implement a site-to-site tunnel over an existing WAN link.  One of the routers currently NATs addresses from one LAN to the other (see diagram).

Firewall 2 does not yet exist - I plan on deploying it to accomplish the tunnel from Firewall 1 - to - Firewall 2.

Can I deploy Firewall 2, creating a VPN tunnel from Firewall 1 to Firewall 2, leaving the NAT functions (static, one-to-one) on Router 1, or would I need to perhaps have Firewall 2 do the NAT.

I am not sure if NAT can take place within a tunnel, and I suspect that it cannot.

Thank you in advance.

Drawing1.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

YECA911ORG wrote:

I have to implement a site-to-site tunnel over an existing WAN link.  One of the routers currently NATs addresses from one LAN to the other (see diagram).

Firewall 2 does not yet exist - I plan on deploying it to accomplish the tunnel from Firewall 1 - to - Firewall 2.

Can I deploy Firewall 2, creating a VPN tunnel from Firewall 1 to Firewall 2, leaving the NAT functions (static, one-to-one) on Router 1, or would I need to perhaps have Firewall 2 do the NAT.

I am not sure if NAT can take place within a tunnel, and I suspect that it cannot.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

If you are Natting the LAN addresses then yes you will need to do it on the firewalls because the IP header will not be available to the routers ie. the IP header available to the routers will have the source and dest IPs of the firewalls and not the LAN machines.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

YECA911ORG wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Mike

If you are Natting the LAN addresses then yes you will need to do it on the firewalls because the IP header will not be available to the routers ie. the IP header available to the routers will have the source and dest IPs of the firewalls and not the LAN machines.

Jon

Thank you for the quick reply!

-MB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card