Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Discovery in FMC

Hi Experts,

We've ASA with Sourcefire module installed and I've queries on Network Discovery. Please excuse my lack of skills on Sourcefire as i'm new to this.

On going through the videos, noticed Network Discovery is the initial step is learning the network by the FMC and I've couple of questions:-

1. Under the Policies-> Access control policy-> Default Network discovery is applied to "0 devices"

My query is then how the FMC is learning about the hosts, users and application when it's NOT applied to any managed devices...?

2. We've no Realm configured to integrate FMC with the LDAP or with the directory agent to monitor the login/logout activity but under the User activity section, noticed Users names are shown.

Not sure how FMC learns about the user names if no AD integration configured...?

Note, we've left the default 0.0.0.0/0 with Users and hosts selected on Network Discovery

3 Replies 3

1. Under the Policies-> Access control policy-> Default Network discovery is applied to "0 devices"

My query is then how the FMC is learning about the hosts, users and application when it's NOT applied to any managed devices...?

Network Discovery is kind of nmap but in passive-mode. Think of a body guard at door. who build a profile based who is coming in and going out. he is not stop you. just you going in and out he build a profile about you. now Zero (0) means FMC is doing passive scan you each single connection. the max limit in verion 6.3 is 50,000 host. you need to fine tune it you need to create your network and teach FMC to only build a passive profile on your network host. no outside hosts (in case internet). you dont want to waste your resource on something which is not useful at all.

2. We've no Realm configured to integrate FMC with the LDAP or with the directory agent to monitor the login/logout activity but under the User activity section, noticed Users names are shown.

Not sure how FMC learns about the user names if no AD integration configured...?

this is useful if you using ISE (pxgrid) for user mapping or Souce fire agent. in order to use these two products you need ISE or soruce fire agent to give you a ip address mapping to username.

please do not forget to rate.

Thanks for the reply. I'm referring about the Default Network discovery is applied to "0 devices" not about 0.0.0.0/0. 

This Network discovery (passive mode) isn't applied to any managed devices. since this is passive whether it's learning about all the hosts its passing through thought...?

you dont have to apply the default network discovery. but you must have to define the network discovery in your network. for example if you know the hosts/network subnet you define it in network discovery policy. later it will become handy when you define intrusion policy. as intrusion policy reflect to the network discovery.

please do not forget to rate.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card