Views
Helpful
Replies

One-way connections

gabriel.gearip
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible with the ASA5500 to allow only connections initiated only from one side (e.g. inside)? No NAT involved!

Thanks.

Gabi

4 Replies 4

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Gabi,

Sure, this is what firewalls are built for primarily. By default, traffic from an interface with a higher security level (inside with 100) is permitted to interface with lower security level (outside with 0). Only return traffic is allowed.

Regards

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm trying to understand this :)

Of course, you're right. Still, I'm having trouble returning the traffic.

I'm pinging from a machine behind inside interface (100) to a maching behind outside (0). I'm sniffing the traffic on the outside and I see the ping request being received and the ping reply being sent. Still, the ASA is denying the ping reply to come back:

%ASA-3-106014: Deny inbound icmp src interface_name: IP_address dst

interface_name: IP_address (type dec, code dec)

Thanks.

Gabi

...and here's my answer, I didn't see it becouse of my nose :) :

The security appliance denied any inbound ICMP packet access. By default, all ICMP packets are denied access unless specifically permitted.

Gabi

Gabi,

Its not your fault actually. "By default, all ICMP packets are denied access unless specifically permitted. "

A better way of saying this is "By default, ASA does not inspect ICMP traffic to permit the return traffic"

So add the following

policy-map global_policy

class inspection_default

inspect icmp

You can not benefit from the Stateful firewall so it lets the return traffic if you dont tell it to inspect the state of specific traffic or protocol.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card