cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer 12.2: Switch's Current Enable Secret Password Invalid

zachary.l.coble
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I'm a student in a Cybersecurity Certification. I've been consistently having trouble with my Packet Tracer 12.2 enable secret password. I get to the privileged EXEC mode and enter the command "enable secret password 'Password'". However when I exit out of the privileged mode into user mode and test my secret password the password line doesn't fill (which I've assumed is standard for security) but my secret password doesn't work. After 3 attempts I get the bad secrets message and it happens with every switch I configure on packet tracer. How can I fix this or what am I doing wrong?

3 Replies 3

Martin L
VIP
VIP

what device in PT? and PT has reach version 8, there is no 12.x, So, not sure what you mean.

when u do show run , you should see something like

enable secret 5 $1$

Login or not, use password or not is also part of line configs, show us part of your config with

line con 0

!

line vty 0 4

login

line vty 5 15

login

Note:PT from Cisco Net Academy is just a software Simulator; it does not run on real IOS or virtual IOS; It is close to IOS but It does not really behave like real IOS would (some simply features do).
PT is excellent tool to learn and practice networking fundamentals and commands for CCNA exam.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

wind670
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem as well, the secret password I set can't use after exiting the privileged mode.

akbhargaw
Level 1
Level 1

Please use the following command

router(config)# enable secret  1234   note- don't use enable secret password 1234. otherwise password will be password 1234. may be you are doing this mistake.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card