cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Path MTU Discovery Broken on FTDv with PPPoE Interface (6.6 & 7.0)

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

I am moving a PPPOE-based internet connection from an FTDv running 6.4.0.8-28 on ESXi to a 6.6.5-13 FTDv running on the same ESXi host. The only other difference is the old was managed by an FMC, the new is managed locally (FDM).

On the original FTD I never changed the outside interface MTU (it's at 1500). On the new FTD I tried lowering the MTU to 1452.

On the old connection, Path MTU Discovery works.

Verification: I cannot ping out to the internet with a full 1500-byte packet with the DF bit set, but I have no connectivity issues (standard web browsing) because (I assume) PMTUD works and lowers my PC's transmission units to stay under what the pppoe connection supports.

When I cut over to the new connection (FTDv 6.6) there are many websites that don't work. Looking at the ASP drops on the FTDv I see it dropping packets with errors stating fragmentation required but df-bit set.

To confirm the issue I hard-coded my PC MTU to 1450 and I have no problem browsing websites. As soon as I set it to 1500 I have problems. It sounds to me like PMTUD is broken when traffic flows through the new FTD.

I also tried a 7.0 FTDv with the same results.

On the new connection I did a packet capture on my PC. I can see packets leaving my PC @ 1514 bytes. I see ICMP Destination unreachable (Fragmentation needed) packets from the firewall.

As soon as I move the connection to the old firewall, no change to the PC, I run a capture and never see a single ICMP Dest Unreachable and the max size I ever see leave the PC is 1434 bytes.

I don't get what's happening, any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

I think I just fixed it. I've been battling this for a couple weeks.

I just noticed the 6.4 FTD has this:

sysopt connection tcpmss 1380
sysopt connection tcpmss minimum 0

And the 6.6 FTD has this:

sysopt connection tcpmss 0

I created a flexconfig policy on the 6.6 FTD to push

and it seems to be working.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

I think I just fixed it. I've been battling this for a couple weeks.

I just noticed the 6.4 FTD has this:

And the 6.6 FTD has this:

sysopt connection tcpmss 0

I created a flexconfig policy on the 6.6 FTD to push

and it seems to be working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card