Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR 9.4.1 ASA 5515-X

dustinn3
Level 1
Level 1

FYI,

Hope this helps someone else. I was struggling trying to get PBR working on my ASA 5515-X 9.4.1.  At first I tried adding it using ASDM, but that doesn't work at all.  You can create the route-map, but it doesn't apply the policy-map to the interface.  Additionally it only allows you to use a standard ACL which should work, but packets don't match the route-map for some reason.  The only way I could get to work was to setup the acl, route-map, and policy-map, and assign the policy-route to the inside interface via CLI.  

Also, when I added the ACL to the route-map, I got the following error, yet that's the only way it would work.

WARNING: If access-list pbracl_1 having destination "any\any4\any6" is used as match criteria for a route map, and applied to any routing protocol it will not have any effect. Instead use standard ACL or extended ACL without any\any4\any6 in destination.

Here's my working config

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 nameif inside
 security-level 100
 ip address 10.X.X.X 255.255.255.0 
 policy-route route-map BGP
 ospf cost 10

access-list pbracl_1 line 1 extended permit ip host 10.X.X.X any

route-map BGP permit 10
 match ip address pbracl_1
 set ip next-hop 192.X.X.X
 set interface Internet

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Updating this thread:

PBR extended ACLs not appearing in ASDM for route maps bug has been fixed and will be included in version ASDM 7.5(1). 

This is the link for the bug filed to fix this problem:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuu04312

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for proactively sharing.

I imagine it will save many folks a TAC call for that first setup.

Hi dustinn3,

I'm following with the ASDM dev team the extended ACL problem. If you can give me a more detailed explanation on the other issues you've been having with the ASDM and PBR, that would be great. 

- Cesar

Cesar,

I was finally able to get everything working within ASDM. 

The issue with the ACL in ASDM is the lookup screen for the Access List on the Match Clause screen only lists standard ACL's.  Additionally you cannot add an ACL from that screen.  If you create an extended ACL and type in the name in the field it does work, but ideally you should be able to select the ACL from browse.  I finally found where to assign the route-map to the interface as well on the interface settings.

Thanks,

A software defect has been filed for the inability to choose Extended Access Lists. I'll share the bug ID once I have a public one. This will be fixed for the next ASDM releases.

In the meantime, as you mention, the workarounds are to add manually the extended name or to  create the route-map using CLI:

route-map test permit 10
 match ip address extended-test
 set interface inside

As you were able to discover, the route-map can be assigned to an interface at the Device Setup -> Interface -> Edit menu.

Thanks for your feedback Dustin! It is greatly appreciated.

Sorry to follow up on such an old thread: I am having the same problem on ASDM 7.6(1) with our 5585 running 9.4(2).11... The dialog to choose an access list from does not show any ACLs... Entering an ACL name by hand works.

dustinn3
Level 1
Level 1

I found another issue with PBR.  If you have any h323 inspections turned on, you cannot make video calls. For some reason once you turn on the inspection it routes half of the traffic correctly and half through the default route.  I tried setting the inspection globally and on the interface PBR is using and it has the same effect.  I'm not sure if other inspections have the same issue.

Updating this thread:

PBR extended ACLs not appearing in ASDM for route maps bug has been fixed and will be included in version ASDM 7.5(1). 

This is the link for the bug filed to fix this problem:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuu04312

Thanks for the update, Cesar. Good to know!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card